Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning A4 in PCM vs Trans Controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning A4 in PCM vs Trans Controller

I'm switching to a 4l60 from my T-56. Basically, I am deciding to either use a trans controller, OR use an A4 PCM & harness(same year '98), buy HPTuners to switch over engine tune & tune trans thru HPT...

Does a trans controller offer more tuning ability? Or will I get the same results...(Not talking about the Compushift controller & tuning on the fly).

Basically, will I be better off just using my current M6 PCM, trans controller, and cut & splicing my harness?

Also, can I buy HPtuners & save my current engine tune from my M6 PCM, then load it onto the A4 PCM and keep it there?

Thanks,
Wes
Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Personally, I would not bother cutting up the harness. I am sure you can find an individual that is wanting to go M6 from A4 and just swapping the harness' btw you two is going to be a whole lot less of a pain in the ***. The software (your current tune) can be changed on the hardware (pcm) you have now A4 to M6. We can do that change via mail order for $125 shipped to your door.

As for the seperate trans controller, I would think the small possible benefits would be overshadowed by the cost.

Last edited by Doc; 12-25-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention seperate trans controller
Old 12-25-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great thanks alot for the help.

Is tuning the trans as complicated as the engine in HPTuners? With no HPT experience, should I be able to tune the trans myself, or are there certain tables & whatnot to screw up?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Trans tuning is not as complicated as engine tuning but can be messed up nonetheless.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

K thanks for the info

The PCM im getting has the a4 tuned into it already. So now I should be able to put my engine tune on that PCM & be close, hopefully.

But because our engines are much different, will the trans tune still be way off? Im shifting around 6800 or so.

Last edited by WMSuperSport; 12-27-2009 at 04:18 AM.