PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark advance problems!!

Old 12-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark advance problems!!

OK, so I'm getting random drops in spark advance % causing power loss. It doesn't seem to be related to any other censers, and I'm not throwing any codes. The LS1 is out of an 02 WS6 and is now in a 92 Camaro, but it just started doing this a couple of weeks ago, so it doesn't seem to be related to the swap. Other than that the motor is bone stock. Here is a quick shot of what is going on. Check out the white line in the middle graph. It won't do it while I'm sitting in place revving the engine. It has to be under some kind of acceleration. Someone help me out here I'm going nuts with this one.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a lot of spark advance and spark retard "components"
that you can set up to log. One of them ought to track with the
low-spark events.
Attached Thumbnails Spark advance problems!!-advance.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You sure you do not have a bad ignition coil?

I can not imagine a tune related problem causing this. I would lean to a mechanical problem causing your spark advance problems. I have never seen that kind of spark jump.

I will let the experts comment on this.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
There are a lot of spark advance and spark retard "components"
that you can set up to log. One of them ought to track with the
low-spark events.
That's good to know. I am very new to this software, and well, tuning and diagnostics in general.

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
You sure you do not have a bad ignition coil?

I can not imagine a tune related problem causing this. I would lean to a mechanical problem causing your spark advance problems. I have never seen that kind of spark jump.

I will let the experts comment on this.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
I can't imagine it being a tune related problem either, but do you think that one bad coil could cause a problem like this. I think it would cause something more like a miss fire. I want to replace them with MSD coils anyways. Maybe That will take care of it.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I am probably getting in over my head commenting on possible mechanical problems (not my specialty)..

Not to discourage you, but I ran the MSD Coils for about 6-8 months. After 6 months I had all sorts of misfires, and upon inspection..2 of the coils had failed.

I went back to my stock coils. Again, not to discourage you..others experience may be more positive, but going back to the stock coils solved the problem.

As far as your current dilemma..I would still lean toward an ignition problem that is not tune related.

I can not think of that kind of spark jump..unless you have some 'hidden' Spark Table in your tune that has erroneous values. Thats a real long shot though.

Hopefully we can get it figured out.

..WeathermanShawn..

Search this Thread