Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information on DiabloSport Predator and Custom Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Information on DiabloSport Predator and Custom Tuning

There have been a few questions posed about custom tuning with the DiabloSport Predator. Here is the scoop on how this works.

With the Predator normally you must read the base program that is in the stock computer. Once this is done the Predator replaces the stock program with the canned program that DiabloSport includes which is optimized for stock vehicles. Basically in the normal mode with the Predator you have 2 programs: Stock and DiabloSport. Additionally, you have the limited ability to change certain parameters in the DiabloSport tuning such as WOT fuel, WOT timing, gear ratio, tire height, fan settings, automatic transmission shift points, etc. If you ever need to, for any reason, you can reload the stock program back into the computer also.

If you want custom tuning the the procedure differs slightly. Once you get the Predator you read the stock program and save it in the Predator just like you would for normal use of the Predator. At this point you will return the file you just saved in the Predator to the tuner. This can be accomplished in one of 2 ways: You either return the Predator to the tuner or utilizing software that is downloadable from DiabloSport you can retreive the stock file from the Predator and e-mail to your tuner. At that point the tuner will build a custom tune and send it back to you either in e-mail, or if you returned the Predator, returning your Predator with the custom tune loaded into it. If you have chosen the e-mail option you must then download the custom program into your Predator.

After you get the Predator set up with the custom tune you will then program the cars computer with the custom program and still have the ability to adjust for other gear ratio's, WOT fuel, WOT timing, tire height, fan settings, automatic transmission shift points, etc. just like with the standard DiabloSport program. Essentially, you are getting a custom program that is end user adjustable to a certain extent.

Right now Thunder Racing is doing custom Predator tunes in house. This service is available from us for 1999-2003 GM vehicles. Pricing is as follows:

$650 Includes a new Predator and custom in house Thunder Racing mail order tuning.

$750 Includes a new Predator and custom in house Thunder Racing dyno tuning. We will need your car for this and tuning sessions must be scheduled in advance.

If you already own a Predator we can still use it for custom tuning. You can deduct $100 from the above prices.

If anyone has any questions either e-mail me or call me @ (877) 516-7223. If you post any questions here I will answer them as soon as I can.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just bought my Pred from Summit Racing for $419. Custom tunes are free from Diablo. Did I miss something?!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine from tbyrne for 420 with free tstat too, yea all my tunes are free too....
Old 12-17-2003, 10:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One correction: the Predator canned tune is not written
to your car until you choose "Install Performance". It
does not happen just because you plug it in. You can
"Modify Performance" and you can use the diagnostics /
real-time display without putting the canned tune in
place.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

According to Nick at DiabloSport, they will retune at no charge stock or bolt-on combinations if the customer isn't happy with the results that they have seen with the original canned program in the Predator.

Nick stated to me however if a customer has a cam, heads, blower, nitrous, etc. that they want tuned, which is beyond the scope of the original standard Predator program, that they do charge an additional fee to do this type of programming.

We sell the Predator just like other vendors out there for $419. A lot of customers don't really need custom tuning and will be fine with the standard tune in the Predator. Based on the information from DiabloSport on their policy on truly custom tunes, our charging extra for a custom tune is in line with what everyone else is doing. The choice of tuners is up to the customer, we have lots of experience tuning our heads and cam packages effectively, to some people this is worth a little extra, and some people it isn't. And some people really don't need the extra benefits of a truly custom tune. Thats why there are options available for everyone.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Restricted User

Geoff, not get into a pissing match, but, I have been using the Predator as long as jimmyblue I believe or maybe a day longer. Never have I paid for a tune, after headers, got a couple tunes, after TR224 cam got about 7tunes, after new TSP cam, more new tunes. It may be in line with what DiabloSport charges, but not to many ppl are using them, as they are lacking in customer service, and take too long for tunes. I use james, as do many, many ppl. Used to be James sent the info to Johann, and he would write the tune, and james was more a middle man, not so anymore. I am not disagreeing with the stated DS policy of charging, if thats what they want, I say go to the vendor who offers the best package. Either way, you or James, will need info, like LTFTs, Spark, O2 Readings, etc...o course better with a wideband, and Autotap/EFI live but whatever. I believe most ppl on here, or with Predator actually dont know how to get a custom tune, or what they need to do, as far as logging wise, and emailing. I wrote a brief "how to use Predator" page in here a long time ago, and have continued to stay in touch with James for improvements and to better develop this product.

My .02, get with james@runninwiththedevil.com if you have a predator to see what your options are, as not tuners want to mess with a tune already started by someone else.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i have had over 20 tunes directly from diable sport and many times i recieved more than one tune back in a day, i have been lucky i guess

Quick Reply: Information on DiabloSport Predator and Custom Tuning