Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of a big tuning issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kind of a big tuning issue

I posted this in the fueling section but I think here is the correct section. I have an 01 ws6 with a 408 with a big cam 32# injectors and full bolt on's it is proffesionally tuned. My issue is I have fuel shooting out my exhaust and my #2 and #7 primary header tubes are not getting hot. I have put new plugs in and that didn't do anything except smoothed out the idle. My exhaust does leak at the Y-pipe and I have not yet pulled my o2 sensors. I am throwing P0135 P0155 P1133 P1153. I didn't think these four codes coul make me dump fuel out the exhaust like it does. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Brandon
Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
I posted this in the fueling section but I think here is the correct section. I have an 01 ws6 with a 408 with a big cam 32# injectors and full bolt on's it is proffesionally tuned. My issue is I have fuel shooting out my exhaust and my #2 and #7 primary header tubes are not getting hot. I have put new plugs in and that didn't do anything except smoothed out the idle. My exhaust does leak at the Y-pipe and I have not yet pulled my o2 sensors. I am throwing P0135 P0155 P1133 P1153. I didn't think these four codes coul make me dump fuel out the exhaust like it does. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Brandon
If your O2's are bad it could run rich. You could also be running too rich at idle. Do you have any logging software?

Bill
Old 01-03-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a superchips tuner that only reads codes.(Its for a different car) I tried deleting the codes and letting it warm up and still runs rich. Could it be my fuel pressure regulator?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Restricted User

make sure your injectors are seated good... also try to replace the o-rings on the injectors ($2).... also make sure injectors have a good connection...

when i changed injectors they weren't seating on the inake very well so i had to replace the o rings, no more flooding of cylinders, lol (i had fuel coming out of my exhaust lol)

replace 02's
Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check to make sure those cylinders are firing.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pulled the #2 plug and set it on the block and got spark but the primary tube wasnt warm.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If those tubes are not hot then you are not getting combustion in there.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Brandon
Have you done a compression check on those cylinders? And what did you use to test the heat comparison? Maybe couple bad injectors. May need to put some limp noid lights on to make sure they are firing in sequence.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have 180 psi of compression and the injectors are about 8 months old. I dont have a limp noid light. I set the plug on the side of the block again today and it has good spark, could my # 2 and 7 plugs be firing backwards?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

anybody think this could be lifters, pushrods, or rocker arms?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Swap injectors with another cylinder and see if the problem follows the injector.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Swap injectors with another cylinder and see if the problem follows the injector.

This guy took the words right out of my mouth. You should do this. I think you have 2 bunk injectors that are just dumping puddles of fuel in the cylinders. There really isnt anything else I can think of that could cause that.

I did some more research... I got five bucks that says you cut and extended your o2 wires when you installed your long tube headers.. Am I right? The codes (p0135,p0155) are most likely being caused by poor connections in the o2's wiring. The o2 heaters do exactly as you can imagine, so that the computer can spend more time in open loop, which is when the o2's are actually controling the mixture of fuel and air. When in closed loop, the computer controls the engine using preprogrammed settings. The sooner the car enters open loop, the more efficiently the car will run. If the o2's are still in closed loop when the coolant reaches a certain temp, it will throw these codes. The voltages the o2's send to the computer to determine open/closed loop are very low, and are being misread by your cars computer b/c of the crappy wires....... go buy o2 extentions. (for the front o2's) they are the flat 4 pin units.

The other codes are a result of the same thing, and are showing up because of repetitive diagnostic failures.

As a side note, it is very possible that this could be caused by connecting the wrong o2 wires when extending them. I think reversing the o2 heater sensor wires could cause these codes.

But NONE OF THIS IS RELATED TO YOUR MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE. This is a completely separate issue. If I were you, I would be ordering some o2 extentions, and if the misfire follows the injectors, I'd be ordering a few of those as well. BTW: are they 32# svo's or delphi? cause 32# seems small for your setup, unless they are svo's.

Last edited by BLK,97,T/A,M-6; 01-08-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

anybody think this could be lifters, pushrods, or rocker arms?

Absolutely not. If this was valvetrain related, you would be hearing a lot of noise acompanying the missfire. What did the plugs look like when you pulled them? were they very clean and smell like raw fuel? Were they gray and ashy?

If your #2 and #7 were firing in reverse, the car would backfire like ******* hell. I dont think its ignition related.

PM me with updates please.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have rear corvette o2 sensors on there so that still doesnt explain the issue of the codes I am throwing. the wires were some used ones my tuner had and we swaped out for the ones that were cut and extended. Not sure what injectors they are The tuner said they would equal almost 36# because they are being pumped by 55psi instead of ford's 48psi or whatever. the plugs were fouled out but still sparked I changed them anyway. I have not yet swapped the coils but I dont see how this could be the issue because It is getting plenty of spark while the plug is on the block but doesnt look like any thing went on while its in the head, still looks brand new even after running it for a few minutes. After work today I will try swapping coils/wires and pull out my o2's see how they look.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

I took my car in to get tuned, and had cracks to in my headers, they said that that is causing the car to run rich, even with the tune, so it didnt help.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

I have rear corvette o2 sensors on there so that still doesnt explain the issue of the codes I am throwing. the wires were some used ones my tuner had and we swaped out for the ones that were cut and extended. Not sure what injectors they are The tuner said they would equal almost 36# because they are being pumped by 55psi instead of ford's 48psi or whatever. the plugs were fouled out but still sparked I changed them anyway. I have not yet swapped the coils but I dont see how this could be the issue because It is getting plenty of spark while the plug is on the block but doesnt look like any thing went on while its in the head, still looks brand new even after running it for a few minutes. After work today I will try swapping coils/wires and pull out my o2's see how they look.

Dont worry about the coils, swap the injectors. The reason your spark plugs still look brand new is cause the injectors are dumping enough fuel to drown Michael Phelps. And it doesnt matter if your running Ferrari o2's the cut and extended wires running to them is what is causing your codes.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

No The way to getting around having to cut youre o2's is by using the post cat o2's from a vette. They are longer and you dont need to buy the adapter. They arent cut anywhere.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I pulled the injectors out today that where missing and one would leak gas straight through it and the other I think is fine.I also tested by leaving the fuel line connected to the rail and I put a water bottle under each injector and turned the fuel pump on and the #2 injector poured out gas. The #7 injector however dint leak at all and I think it may have been disconnected somehow. Thank you guys for the help appreciate it a lot.
Brandon
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Thats good news, now I understand the corvette o2's thing. Maybe the tuner accidentally entered the wrong values for the computer to determine when to enter open loop? Not even sure if thats possible? I think Autozone has equipment to test o2's. G/L

Quick Reply: Kind of a big tuning issue