PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Sky engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking '07 Sky engine swap

Ok, I am newbie here, have read FAQ's and have some basic questions I hope y'all can help with or point me in right direction.

Compared to some of the projects mine is simple. Have a couple of Saturn Sky roadsters, one was parts and one had to be repaired - and it had the N/A engine. I took the turbo engine from the parts car and all wiring harness, fusebox, BCM, etc. I also want to add stability control from the turbo parts car. I removed the yaw sensor and Electronic Brake Module, steering position sensor. I have the original trans and rear end ratio from the turbo.

I have a new PCM I bought as the original was missing. Questions:

* will the new (direct from GM) PCM require any setup with VIN or anything?
* how does the milage get set?
* I have the turbo instrument panel and the turbo is supposed to have a snazzier one so I'll use it.
* will the ignition key work with the PCM from parts dept right off, or will that have to be set too?

I am a bit of a adventurous type and have worked with large databases and data conversions at various jobs, so the idea of editing my car's computer is not terribly scary, but I've read to change things like the VIN and what not I need a Tech II scan tool which is like $2k + if you can find one.

To get my car working and the airbag system reset (I have new impact sensors, SRS box and bag) will I need to have GM dealer work on it $$$, or will some HP shop be the best bet? Most dealers only have rudementary knowledge of the computer controlls and asking someone to try to make my system work when parts came from different cars maybe a tall undertaking for them. Or, is there something available that allows one to acces those hidden setup files?

I have access to a cheap ODBII code reader a friend has, but its not going to give my anything in depbth like I need to write the new VIN if necessary and reset the miles, airbag, etc. Any recommended software, does HP tune do things like this?

TIA - Scott
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

I cant answer all your questions but i know first hand hp tuners can rewrite an entire pcm including the Vin i fried my stock pcm bought a new one from GM for 150$ they wanted like 350 more to tune it with the tech II. so i said ill try it with my tuner first then ill giv eyou guys a call if i still need it. Still running that computer now works fine never had a problem with the computer after i rewrote my firebirds stock tune onto it over the chevrolet avalanche tune that was on the computer.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Default Thanks!

That is the sort of answer that is helpful! Perhaps I need to buy a copy of that software. Hey, when you re-did your ECM, what did you use as source, I take it you can find downloads for your car / drivetrain? I"ll have to google it.

Perhaps I can get good enough at this to recoup some of my money by helping others... Hmm...

Scott

Old 02-04-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Check out the Solistice forum. They have a whole section of conversions. there is a guy who did an LS2 swap and has a really good write up.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy
That is the sort of answer that is helpful! Perhaps I need to buy a copy of that software. Hey, when you re-did your ECM, what did you use as source, I take it you can find downloads for your car / drivetrain? I"ll have to google it.

Perhaps I can get good enough at this to recoup some of my money by helping others... Hmm...

Scott

i downloaded a stock tune off of hptuners tune repository on their website

Quick Reply: '07 Sky engine swap