PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners please come in..!!!! VIDEO ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did they act irresponsibly? Sounds like it. Is the damage to the bearings due to their actions? Probably not.

If it was lean due to low fuel pressure, that didn't just happen when they strapped it down. It had to have been like that to begin with.

Now if it were lean from tuning, from not knowing how to tune in SD, that's a whole 'nuther story.

Regardless, they should have stopped.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 02-10-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just going through my cell phone and remembered that I actually video taped a part of the tuning process. The video shows my car on the dyno and the computer screen reading 18.4 afr. And the tuner is holding my car at 2500 rpms at 70 mph while sitting at the 18.4 afr for more then two minutes. This seems a bit much to me. Am I over reacting here.
As for the bearing issue, it JUST happened when this "shop" was tuning my car. I changed the oil 1 week prior and the oil pressure has NEVER dropped below 35 lbs, even on the hottest day. Then the second I leave this damn "shop" I see my pressure steadly dropping till it finally sits at 10 lbs. I hurry home, pull the oil filter and cut it open to get a hand full of bearing.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Did the act irresponsibly? Sounds like it. Is the damage to the bearings due to their actions? Probably not.

If it was lean due to low fuel pressure, that didn't just happen when they strapped it down. It had to have been like that to begin with.

Now if it were lean from tuning, from not knowing how to tune in SD, that's a whole 'nuther story.

Regardless, they should have stopped.

How can you say that the damage to the bearing ISNT due to their actions. I can see in the video the 18.4 afr, and them holding it at high rpms with this afr, while the car is popping, muddling and puffing smoke. I trusted these guys and now I have an expensive paper weight....
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Here's a video clip. Its 45 seconds of a 3 minute video. Notice the computer screen showing the 18.4 afr. And the car being help at almost 3000 rpms for the entire time. This is ALL AFTER I was told that my Racetronix system my be failing. (Turn your volume down, the audio is messed up..)

Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Im trying to get an idea from you guys as to how I should go about handling this with this shop..
Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charlie c5
How can you say that the damage to the bearing ISNT due to their actions. I can see in the video the 18.4 afr, and them holding it at high rpms with this afr, while the car is popping, muddling and puffing smoke. I trusted these guys and now I have an expensive paper weight....
An overly lean condition will blow the tips off the plugs, burn a piston, lift a ring land, etc, before it would spin a bearing.

I find it hard to believe it was really that lean. It could have been just a WB malfunction. They'll go screwy on you every so often. They need the filters serviced, and the sensors need replacing every so often.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

Just an observation, was the wideband even installed on the car during this video, the afr never moves one bit. it may of been just sitting somewhere and that may be their set max of their wideband.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edcmat-l1 is right a lean condition will screw up a lot of things, but a bearing no.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

If the AFR was 18.4 I don't think the car would even continue running, it would shut off. Like the others have said, I think your bearing issue is due to something else, unless it had a bunch of detonation and beat the bearings out of it.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

The wide band was hooked up. I even asked if the 18.4 was acurate. And I thought going THAT lean causes detonation, and detonation is mini explosions in the motor which causes things to move that ARENT supposed to move?? That would explain the bearing. Im not trying to argue with ANY of you, and I AM taking in all of the info you guys are giving me, and I truly appreciate all of the responces. I just want to be 100% clear on all of this so I dont go to this shop and start anything that I SHOULDNT be.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Detonation usually hammers the hell out of the bearings and could cause issues.

I would deal directly with the ship and try to get them to make it right.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
An overly lean condition will blow the tips off the plugs, burn a piston, lift a ring land, etc, before it would spin a bearing.

I find it hard to believe it was really that lean. It could have been just a WB malfunction. They'll go screwy on you every so often. They need the filters serviced, and the sensors need replacing every so often.
X2
Have you even pulled the plugs? Detonation bad enough to destroy bearings will be clearly evident on the plugs.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike@ZMS
Detonation usually hammers the hell out of the bearings and could cause issues.
In serious cases of detonation, the top bearing shell will get hammered. It flattens them out some, and widens out at the top. This happens in blown alcohol motors alot. But, you have to remember, these also have forged pistons and aluminum rods too. The engine in this case has hypereutectic pistons and regular powdered metal rods. You'll damage a piston long before you'll ruin a rod bearing due to detonation.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

I agree with the others, I highly doubt running lean during the tuning process caused your bearings issues. You would have hurt the piston long before the bearings and I believe that you had other issues.

Who built the motor, how long ago, and how many miles ago?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.7 ute
X2
Have you even pulled the plugs? Detonation bad enough to destroy bearings will be clearly evident on the plugs.
--I changed the plugs RIGHT before the tuning process started. They were black as hell. I changed the plugs RIGHT after the tune, and they were white as hell.

--As for the internals in this motor, its a FULLY forged 408 6ltr. Sorry, I thought I mentioned that already. But no, its FAR from a stock bottom end....

--And as for there being ANY issue with this car before this shop got a hold of it, the ONLY issue was it was a bit rich. I changed the oil not even 30 miles before I brought it to this shop and I ALWAYS cut my oil filters, and I didnt find ANY bearing material when I changed it, and my oil pressure was well above 40lbs at a warm idle. The SECOND I left this damn shop my oil pressure immediatly started dropping till it finally came to rest at 10lbs. And when I got it home, I cut the oil filter and there was a nice amount of bearing.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

--I changed the plugs RIGHT before the tuning process started. They were black as hell. I changed the plugs RIGHT after the tune, and they were white as hell.

--As for the internals in this motor, its a FULLY forged 408 6ltr. Sorry, I thought I mentioned that already. But no, its FAR from a stock bottom end....

--And as for there being ANY issue with this car before this shop got a hold of it, the ONLY issue was it was a bit rich. I changed the oil not even 30 miles before I brought it to this shop and I ALWAYS cut my oil filters, and I didnt find ANY bearing material when I changed it, and my oil pressure was well above 40lbs at a warm idle. The SECOND I left this damn shop my oil pressure immediatly started dropping till it finally came to rest at 10lbs. And when I got it home, I cut the oil filter and there was a nice amount of bearing.
The plugs should be white.

It may have been hurt by extended load, but not by it being lean.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So you want to argue your case with a shop armed with a bunch of internet opinions after you signed a waiver that probably says you assume the risks of running your car on their dyno? Without seeing what you signed, I'm going to say that is probably not your best course for a remedy.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
So you want to argue your case with a shop armed with a bunch of internet opinions after you signed a waiver that probably says you assume the risks of running your car on their dyno? Without seeing what you signed, I'm going to say that is probably not your best course for a remedy.
Your absolutly correct. I did sign a waiver. I signed a waiver with a shop that I assumed was one of the best in the industry. And thinking that I assumed that if the issue of my fuel pump possibly going out was to come up, then they would stop everything and want to correct that. Not keep the car on the dyno and keep reving it, and bringing it up in RPM's and holding it for many minutes at a time.. Im here to make sure that Im not wrong in thinking that they SHOULD HAVE STOPPED the second they realized the fuel issue.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Your absolutly correct. I did sign a waiver. I signed a waiver with a shop that I assumed was one of the best in the industry. And thinking that I assumed that if the issue of my fuel pump possibly going out was to come up, then they would stop everything and want to correct that. Not keep the car on the dyno and keep reving it, and bringing it up in RPM's and holding it for many minutes at a time.. Im here to make sure that Im not wrong in thinking that they SHOULD HAVE STOPPED the second they realized the fuel issue.
If there was fueling issue, then yes, that should of been fixed first and foremost before any tuning was done or to continue. My question to you though is, if you seen it that lean, why didn't you tell them to stop? or did you and I missed that part? You were watching correct?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter; being lean for 2 minutes on the dyno is not going to make it spin a bearing (as was sound by the rest of the tuners in the post). It might beat up a piston, but not spin a bearing.