PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners please come in..!!!! VIDEO ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't matter what people on the internet think or what you think. If the shop doesn't think they did any thing wrong that is what matters. They must not think they did since they didn't stop when you think they were damaging your car. What you need to do is have the damage if any looked at by someone in your area that would be a credible expert in engine failure analysis. I'm guessing right now you don't even know what if any damage was done.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--As for the question of why didnt I tell them to stop, well out of the two hours they had my car on the dyno trying to tune it, I only saw about 4 minutes of it. They came and got me an hour into the tuning when they noticed the fueling issue. I was upset that they COULDNT fix the issue then, so I walked back inside to sit in the waiting room, then I heard my car crank up, and the tuning process carried on for another hour.
--That brings up the next question, they were beating on it ALOT more then 4 minutes. 4 minutes was just how long I saw the car personally. They were tuning on it for a couple of hours. A couple of hours of loud popping, backfiring and some muddling sounds. I THOUGHT they knew what they were doing. Thats why I didnt raise a stink.
--As for the damage, the motor is at a machine shop right getting ripped apart, but with the amount of bearing material in the oil, there definitely IS damage..
Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by charlie c5
--As for the question of why didnt I tell them to stop, well out of the two hours they had my car on the dyno trying to tune it, I only saw about 4 minutes of it. They came and got me an hour into the tuning when they noticed the fueling issue. I was upset that they COULDNT fix the issue then, so I walked back inside to sit in the waiting room, then I heard my car crank up, and the tuning process carried on for another hour.
--That brings up the next question, they were beating on it ALOT more then 4 minutes. 4 minutes was just how long I saw the car personally. They were tuning on it for a couple of hours. A couple of hours of loud popping, backfiring and some muddling sounds. I THOUGHT they knew what they were doing. Thats why I didnt raise a stink.
--As for the damage, the motor is at a machine shop right getting ripped apart, but with the amount of bearing material in the oil, there definitely IS damage..

If it was my car,after being told it had fueling issue and could not be fixed, and heard it crank back up, I would of atleast asked what they were doing and why are they not unstrapping it. They should of unstrapped the car and told you to get the issue fixed first, then come back.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id sure like to hear the other side of the story.

I could never just sit in the waiting room when someone is working on my vette. And if I heard my car making new noises, Id be watching asking what's wrong
Old 02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

UPDATE from the machine shop. 4 main bearings are TOAST. Fortunatly my $3,000 crank IS salvagable. Im still pretty pissed I even have to deal with any of this, much less the fact that this "shop" in HOUSTON, STILL HASNT CALLED ME BACK. Chicken **** shop....
Old 02-21-2010, 01:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting. Unusual for mains to go out before rod bearings unless there is abnormal bearing wear due to clearance issues.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

Mains are definately an indication of other issues like clearance or oil starvation. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

How did the pistons look?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Very interesting. Unusual for mains to go out before rod bearings unless there is abnormal bearing wear due to clearance issues.
--I can see that. But how could the car be running flawlessly for 5 yrs, and just one week before I gad this shop try and check my tune I changed the oil, with NO bearing material found. Then I leave this shop and immediately have oil pressure issues and when I cut the oil filter to have a hand full of bearing.

Originally Posted by jonlisa973
Mains are definately an indication of other issues like clearance or oil starvation. Good luck!
--Same responce I had for the previous post.

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
How did the pistons look?
--Not sure but I'll find out tomorrow..
Old 02-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Teching In

never the less the shop should atleast call you back...their fault or not
Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In my opinion there is not much a dyno tune can do especially with fueling to do anything to the main bearings short of overheating it. Fueling would not do anything like that unless it was way over fueled in which case it would have fouled plugs first. I know you'd like someone to be responsible but in this case they are not. If the rod bearings where beaten out of it or you had a few broke or melted pistons you could blame the tuning or dynoing.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agree with Alvin. Just bad luck.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Like already stated, it's hard to kill bearings by just tuning on a car. The fueling issues they claim is a whole completely different problem that is not related to the main bearing failure. Also like stated above, if the tune was the problem the rod bearings would be beaten out of the thing too.

It is however pretty weird it's been perfectly fine for the amount of years you claim and then all the sudden it kills main bearings. Something in the puzzle is missing here.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Like already stated, it's hard to kill bearings by just tuning on a car. The fueling issues they claim is a whole completely different problem that is not related to the main bearing failure. Also like stated above, if the tune was the problem the rod bearings would be beaten out of the thing too.

It is however pretty weird it's been perfectly fine for the amount of years you claim and then all the sudden it kills main bearings. Something in the puzzle is missing here.

Yeah, your telling me. Ive got a fully built bottom motor, and NEVER had an issue, and because I thought my car was a little too RICH, because my fuel economy went to crap, and my car would literally spit raw fuel out the exhaust tips, I figured Id have the tune checked. And after about 3o minutes of tuning on it they they tell me that Im actually having a fuel issue where Im at 53lbs and then it drops to 30lbs. But they continue to tune on the car for a few more hours and now out of no where I have trashed main mearing. I dont want to blame this shop, they ARE a very reputable shop and ALL OF YOU KNOW THEM. I just cant mention the name of the shop, because the MODS will kill my thread. I just hate how all of this is beinng handled, and the "coincidental" bearing issue Im having.. Just very nerve racking...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Yeah, your telling me. Ive got a fully built bottom motor, and NEVER had an issue, and because I thought my car was a little too RICH, because my fuel economy went to crap, and my car would literally spit raw fuel out the exhaust tips, I figured Id have the tune checked. And after about 3o minutes of tuning on it they they tell me that Im actually having a fuel issue where Im at 53lbs and then it drops to 30lbs. But they continue to tune on the car for a few more hours and now out of no where I have trashed main mearing. I dont want to blame this shop, they ARE a very reputable shop and ALL OF YOU KNOW THEM. I just cant mention the name of the shop, because the MODS will kill my thread. I just hate how all of this is beinng handled, and the "coincidental" bearing issue Im having.. Just very nerve racking...
Yes, that is pretty much what everybody is trying to tell you. Tuning will not cause main bearing failure, period.

Repeatedly putting an engine with clearance and or oiling problems through high rpm pulls WILL damage main bearing, but the thing is you signed a waiver AGREEING to let them put your engine through this stress, that is what dyno'ing does. I don't care how long your engine ran just fine, it had an issue, the issue reared its head on the dyno, it happens ALOT, its just bad timing that it happened in that shop instead of on the street with you behind the wheel. It is not the tuners fault you spun a main bearing.....
Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Just because it was fine for 5 years doesn't mean the motor wasn't stressing the whole time. Let's put time in mileage terms. How far have you driven the car since build??
Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

The real issue is..... Why did they continue to make pulls with low oil pressure?????
Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dskeet6
The real issue is..... Why did they continue to make pulls with low oil pressure?????
Thats what Im getting at. The second they found that I was starving for fuel they should have stopped, and told me to FIX the issue, or they could have suggested them fix it. Not spend another hour or two pulling on it. I know I signed a damn waiver, I saigned saying that I agree that they are freaking compitant to do the job. And as for how many miles Ive put on the motor, ohhhhh Id say 20k. 20k miles and NEVER had a single piece of brass in the oil, then the second I take it to get the tune checked, I end up with a hand full of bering.... Soooooo that pretty much rules out your little thought on "the problem has been there, it just reared it's ugly head on the dyno...." lol