Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Retard???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Knock Retard???

Hi, Im fairly new here, and have been reading alot. Im doing a LQ4 swap into a 81TTA, and plan on adding a turbo later on after i get the car up, and running. Now i have build a 87 Grandnational, and i know a little about how it's tuned, and how turbo work's, but the LS stuff is totally new to me. I installed a Audiable Knock sensor in my Buick, and it let's me know when i have to much timing, or not enough octain. Do they sell anything that dose that for the LS engine's, and Im want to get a setup to tune the engine, but not sure what is the best, and most affordable setup that will allow me add a turbo later, and tune it. Most of all i need to know how to monitor Knock, so i dont kill the engine??
Old 03-03-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone??
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ls engines have 2 on board knock sensors. They are pretty good at their job most of the time. As far as tuning solutions go. HPTuners and EFI LIVE are the options. HPTuners is cheaper but EFI LIVE is more feature packed on the hardware side of things as you get a handheld unit that allow you to log everything and see the data without the need to lug a laptop around. Plus you get audible and visual alarms for things like knock detection or what ever else you want to configure.
As far as the software goes for each tuning suite. They both do basically the same thing but in different formats.
You can download the EFI LIVE demo from here. http://download.efilive.com/Software...5.88_Setup.exe
Unfortunately HPTuners doesn't do a demo for you to check out.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply, im still trying to figure this all out. Got my turbo, FP, PCM on the way, think i need to figure out which boost referenced FPR to get.