PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE tuning problems...VE tables Maxed! Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel pressure on the Grand Prix is the same as yours. Key on engine off 48-55psi. If the pressure holds underload WOT then your pump is fine.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you guys aren't gunna believe this...I went out tuning tonight and I hit that little tab that says "WOT disable" and put it to "enable"

well...it looks like it was working at the beginning...I went from being 9% short of fuel at WOT, to being 7% then 6%...then it stayed at 6%...I can live with that.

Problem... My part throttle numbers are wayyyyy rich...doesnt matter what I put in the VE table, they will stay at 10-12 afr when light on the throttle...

I thought maybe the whole ve table is now taking data from itself, since this whole thing is based on cylinder fill.

Soooo...I went back and took one of my stock ve tables (or very close to stock) and loaded it into the tune, then I went back over all the VE tables I enriched, and set them all back to factory specs.

logged some more same problem...WOT went to a consistent 10-12% off of the commanded afr, but I was still hitting high 11's in the pulls. Again, didnt matter how much I messed with the VE table, part throttle was wayyyyy too rich...11-12 afr...

this tells me that the "WOT disable" button...is clearly not that simple...anyone want to take a stab as to whats going on?

I got the logs here....

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...636#post210636
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you aren't working your VE table manually because by the sounds of it you aren't logging commanded AFR otherwise you would have seen this ages ago. Thats why we have MAP's/Histograms. Log Commanded and Actual AFR and from those numbers generate a Factor table to apply to the VE table.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by macca_779
I hope you aren't working your VE table manually because by the sounds of it you aren't logging commanded AFR otherwise you would have seen this ages ago. Thats why we have MAP's/Histograms. Log Commanded and Actual AFR and from those numbers generate a Factor table to apply to the VE table.
Im logging the commanded afr, and the actual afr, and I have a PID set to take how much the actual is off % wise against the commanded.

The commanded afr was still commanding 14.4 like it should at part throttle, but the numbers I was putting into the VE table (i.e the error %) was not doing anything...
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you get those fuel trims out of there?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Did you get those fuel trims out of there?
yes, I reset the fuel trims on every single run this time.

Also, for those that wanted to know my injector duty...it doesnt go higher then 50%...
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE

Also, for those that wanted to know my injector duty...it doesnt go higher then 50%...
Are the fuel trims off?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You said that you did that before but it still had LTFTs and STFTs. I didn't look at your logs on HPTforums, so if it's in there then I'm sorry to have questioned you.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You said that you did that before but it still had LTFTs and STFTs. I didn't look at your logs on HPTforums, so if it's in there then I'm sorry to have questioned you.
if I reset the fuel trims and leave that vcm control tab open, I dont get LTFT's...but I always have STFTs, there is no way of shutting either of these off as far as I know...unless I pull the o2 sensors...which I am weary of doing at the moment.

I had an odd encounter with my AEM wideband today...for some reason it was reading really really really rich 10-12 afr didnt matter what I did, or what tune I put in the car...the narrowbands told a differnt story as they were in around high 700's in the 800's...meaning I was in around 14-15 afr I believe.

I was thinking the O2 sensor was fried, but on the way home today I flashed in yet another tune, and it seemed to be reading properly again...14.4-15.2ish crusing...17-18afr on decel, and in the 13's and occasional 12's on acceleration above 25%...

I don't know what to think/trust anymore...what could casuse the wideband to do this? its maybe 2 months old...Im thinking maybe a bad ground? Im gunna recheck the wiring hopefully tommorrow....
Old 03-31-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if I reset the fuel trims and leave that vcm control tab open, I dont get LTFT's...but I always have STFTs, there is no way of shutting either of these off as far as I know...unless I pull the o2 sensors...which I am weary of doing at the moment.

I had an odd encounter with my AEM wideband today...for some reason it was reading really really really rich 10-12 afr didnt matter what I did, or what tune I put in the car...the narrowbands told a differnt story as they were in around high 700's in the 800's...meaning I was in around 14-15 afr I believe.

I was thinking the O2 sensor was fried, but on the way home today I flashed in yet another tune, and it seemed to be reading properly again...14.4-15.2ish crusing...17-18afr on decel, and in the 13's and occasional 12's on acceleration above 25%...

I don't know what to think/trust anymore...what could casuse the wideband to do this? its maybe 2 months old...Im thinking maybe a bad ground? Im gunna recheck the wiring hopefully tommorrow....
Turning off LTFT's is only half the job. You must turn off STFT's aswell by maxing the CL enable temps. Then and only then can you dial in VE with a WB. This is why you are having all this trouble. Regardless of what your logging to Histograms. The o2's running in STFT will always fight against you.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can't disable LTFT's and STFT's, then remove the O2 sensors (and install threaded plugs).
Old 04-01-2010, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joecar
If you can't disable LTFT's and STFT's, then remove the O2 sensors (and install threaded plugs).
I cant see why he couldn't just turn them off though Joe. I think the whole problem here is that he hasn't been show how. Rather than it can't do it. I'm sure HPT has tutorials the same as EFI LIVE does for these simple processes.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by macca_779
I cant see why he couldn't just turn them off though Joe. I think the whole problem here is that he hasn't been show how. Rather than it can't do it. I'm sure HPT has tutorials the same as EFI LIVE does for these simple processes.
I'll do a little more research to try and find out how, but I'm pretty sure we can't...but we have less then half the tables you guys have...unless its something that can be done through the vcm scanner that I don't know about...

I have it set in Open loop all the time... like I said, since I got those weird wideband readings yesterday, I am weary about pulling the narrowbands, as they'll let me know that the wideband is functioning properly...
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll do a little more research to try and find out how, but I'm pretty sure we can't...but we have less then half the tables you guys have...unless its something that can be done through the vcm scanner that I don't know about...

I have it set in Open loop all the time... like I said, since I got those weird wideband readings yesterday, I am weary about pulling the narrowbands, as they'll let me know that the wideband is functioning properly...
Stock OS' both softwares have pretty much the same tables. Trust me its in there.

I just had a look for you. Besides the weird way HPT represents the tables, what your after is this following the table tree.

Engine
Fuel Control
Ooen & Closed Loop
Closed Loop
Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs. IAT

Now max every cell in that table to 141c or what ever it is in F

Make sure LTFT is off too.. Not that its going to update anymore anyway, and reset your LTFT memory.

That is all you should need to do.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does he have the equivalent of B4206 "OL STFT enable/disable"...?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joecar
Does he have the equivalent of B4206 "OL STFT enable/disable"...?
Not that I could see on a quick inspection. But it may still be burried in there somewhere. I was checking on an 02 VX SS. So it should be similar

Quick Reply: VE tuning problems...VE tables Maxed! Help