Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I do it

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Can I do it

I am not a genius or a retard but wondering if i could tune my own car. Getting ready to fire up my first swap and probly not my last. So being able to tune my own engine would save thousands in a short order. But this first engine is full bolt ons, ported heads, 240's cam, 6 speed, 456 gears. My question is this the wrong car to start on or acn a beginner get it.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuning is a big learning experience that after more than a year, I am nowhere near to getting it - I keep reading. Some people, including you may be more capable than me but here's what I have for a "to buy" list.

Wideband kit
Tuning suite
lap top computer

I have about $1200 invested so far. It's that low because I bought used hardware.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read all you can, ask questions, and make SMALL CHANGES. The most important part of tuning is knowing what governs what and what is govered by what.

If you're still running a MAF, you should have no problems starting off. Read all the tutorials you can on whatever your working on. Make some changes and see how it reacts. After you get better, you can start working on speed density tuning (which you'll find to be easier than anything else lol).

I tuned my own car for 3 years before I started messing with other people's. I then started doing it on the side for credit money + $50 or $100. Now I've paid off all my tuning stuff and then some. I also have a **** load of more experience. Knowing how PCM's make decisions and how to correct them is a skill that will really help you in the future.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

I have been reading this section for the past week tying to figure out if i could do this. I alredy have a lap top and have a chance at geting the base hp tuners suite with credits for 350 which i thought was a good price, maybe its not i dont know. The real question is should i try to start tuning on the car mentioned or let a pro do it. Keep in mind this is a swap and i did all the mods to the engine and the coputer still has the stock tune. I see everyone on here seems to be quite helpfull at answering questions but i dont want to be that guy that is posting questions every 5min for a month pissing everyone off.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally, with a first build of that nature..I would get spend the bucks to get a really good first tune, but under the premise of learning how it was done etc..

Then you can start tweaking it after.

While you do not have to be a 'genius', you have to be very honest with yourself. Am I good with computers? Am I good with statistics and numbers?

If you have struggled with any in the past, then get your 'pro' tune and learn as you go. Thats just my honest opinion. There is an initial learning curve in the first few months where people quit. It is neither easy nor is it hard. But, I would rather have a good base tune and then learn than vice-versa.

Best of luck, no matter which way you go..
Old 03-30-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

And until you have a wideband that you can log (not just a gauge) you really don't have the equipment to tune for fuel, spark and air. But you'll be fine for gears and fans.

My favored adage has been that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

I plan on getting a wideband as well. The more i read the more i am thinking i might get a mail order tune and start from there. Thanks for the help.