PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS codes and problems along with rear abs sensor??Need help!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TPS codes and problems along with rear abs sensor??Need help!

About 3 weeks ago I started having problems when I would go WOT in any gear at about 5 or so thousand rpm's my car would lay over and then come back to life in a few hundred rpms and it almost felt as if my converter was slipping or like it was running into neutral. Had the tranny rebuilt with a new converter and stuck the car on the dyno and it did it again but worse, when you looked at engine speed on the graph it would clearly go negative before gaining power again. I noticed I was throwing a code and they I believe were a P0123 and P1211 which were TPS high voltage and intermitten voltage codes. I replaced the TPS sensor and its still doing it.. Could It be the wiring somewhere? and if so where? connector or..? I also have a rear ABS sensor out I believe could this also be contributing to the problem? It seems as if the TPS is causing the problem and telling the car to lock up when it shouldnt be.. andy help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Teching In

help..
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

First you need to confirm the codes. I bet the second code is P1121, but double check. I included P1122 just in case. Intermittent problems are tough to chase and pinpoint but can be done if you have a scan tool and Digital Multi Meter. Here are the conditions. You definitely need a scan tool to verify TPS volts (not %) to start with. Then you need to look at the freeze frame data which give the specific conditions the DTC's are set.

Conditions for Setting The DTC P0123
  • The TP sensor signal voltage is more than 4.75 volts.
  • The condition is present for 10 seconds
Conditions for Setting the DTC P1121
  • The TP sensor voltage is more than 4.8 volts.
  • The intermittent condition exists for a total of 1 second during a 20 second period
Conditions for Setting the DTC P1122
  • The TP sensor voltage is less than 0.2 volts.
  • The intermittent condition exists for a total of 1 second during a 20-second period.
Usually intermittent problems point to a bad sensor connection; specifically the female connectors. Over time they may loosen up and lose the positive connection to the sensor causing voltage or signal drops.

- Disconnect the harness from the TPS sensor and check for signs of arcing (black "soot" on the bare metal connectors). Use a very small flat screw driver and carefully close or press together the sides of the female connectors, taking care not to damage anything. Blow out the connectors with compressed air to clean any dirt or debri.

- Did you happen to do the bumpstop mod? Sometimes grinding too far will cause the TPS volt to read excessively high and setting a code.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

I know this is old, but did you figure the problem out, I'm having the same one.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
First you need to confirm the codes. I bet the second code is P1121, but double check. I included P1122 just in case. Intermittent problems are tough to chase and pinpoint but can be done if you have a scan tool and Digital Multi Meter. Here are the conditions. You definitely need a scan tool to verify TPS volts (not %) to start with. Then you need to look at the freeze frame data which give the specific conditions the DTC's are set.

Conditions for Setting The DTC P0123
  • The TP sensor signal voltage is more than 4.75 volts.
  • The condition is present for 10 seconds
Conditions for Setting the DTC P1121
  • The TP sensor voltage is more than 4.8 volts.
  • The intermittent condition exists for a total of 1 second during a 20 second period
Conditions for Setting the DTC P1122
  • The TP sensor voltage is less than 0.2 volts.
  • The intermittent condition exists for a total of 1 second during a 20-second period.
Usually intermittent problems point to a bad sensor connection; specifically the female connectors. Over time they may loosen up and lose the positive connection to the sensor causing voltage or signal drops.

- Disconnect the harness from the TPS sensor and check for signs of arcing (black "soot" on the bare metal connectors). Use a very small flat screw driver and carefully close or press together the sides of the female connectors, taking care not to damage anything. Blow out the connectors with compressed air to clean any dirt or debri.

- Did you happen to do the bumpstop mod? Sometimes grinding too far will cause the TPS volt to read excessively high and setting a code.

Hope this helps.
exactly where i was gonna go with this one.....follow this advise and you should find the problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPS codes and problems along with rear abs sensor??Need help!