Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO V.E. issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 GTO V.E. issue

My friend has an 04 GTO with MS3 and stage 2.5 5.3 heads. When i unplug the MAF to tune the trims, it won't hardly run at all. I even copied the table from my car which has an MS4 hoping that would get me in the ballpark, but still garbage. The STFT's are 40 and 50% everywhere. I even tried making those changes and it got better, but the VE values were like 150% in some cells so i know it's fucked up. I just put the stock table back for now. It runs great with the MAF. Smooth as silk and pulls hard. But without it you cant even pull out of the driveway. What am I missing?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaybob
My friend has an 04 GTO with MS3 and stage 2.5 5.3 heads. When i unplug the MAF to tune the trims, it won't hardly run at all. I even copied the table from my car which has an MS4 hoping that would get me in the ballpark, but still garbage. The STFT's are 40 and 50% everywhere. I even tried making those changes and it got better, but the VE values were like 150% in some cells so i know it's fucked up. I just put the stock table back for now. It runs great with the MAF. Smooth as silk and pulls hard. But without it you cant even pull out of the driveway. What am I missing?
You have to change other tables as well to tune the VE table. Simply unplugging the MAF is not everything. Hopefully you are tuning the VE with a Wideband as well and not your narrowbands.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Care to clarify which tables? When I did mine I tuned it using the STFT's.

I disabled long terms
unplugged the MAF
reset trims

Then i tried logging short terms with HP, but as i said it won't even run. This process has worked for me on F-Bods. I just figured something is different in the Goat ECM that i am not catching.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post a tune and run log...........
Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Post a tune and run log...........
I'll try to make that happen. In the meantime, will that process not work with this ECM?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

Also make sure your MAF dosn't have the IAT sensor built in. If so you need to plug it back in and just disable it. Are you tuning your VE with a Wideband?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

Believe the 04 has a seperate IAT sensor...

Were the injectors changed? If so, was the tune changed for that?

Why are you are adding fuel in the idle VE cells? For that cam/heads they would definetly need leaned out from stock values to get it to idle.

The only way to tune it right is to put it in open loop and use a wideband to get it right... the VE and many other tables are likely so far off that it won't even idle. Tuning with narrow bands is not the right way to do it. Using trims to verify closed loop tuning after the wideband tune is the way it works.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Seperate IAT

Stock injectors

I agree, it should be leaned out, but it gets worse. Henceforth my problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
9 Second Club

Are you tuning with a wideband or your narrowbands?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Does it have a good fuel pump in it? If not, you need one - no way a stock pump and injectors will support a MS3 and 2.5 heads...

Are you putting it in open loop to tune? I'll say it again - if you aren't putting it in open loop and tuning it with a wideband, you are doing it wrong. And that is probably why you aren't seeing the issue that is the root of it... I think you have a fuel problem from what little I can tell from the info here.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Does it have a good fuel pump in it? If not, you need one - no way a stock pump and injectors will support a MS3 and 2.5 heads...

Are you putting it in open loop to tune? I'll say it again - if you aren't putting it in open loop and tuning it with a wideband, you are doing it wrong. And that is probably why you aren't seeing the issue that is the root of it... I think you have a fuel problem from what little I can tell from the info here.
It has stock pump and injectors. And i have plenty of fuel. The injectors are running at about 80% Duty at WOT. Yes, I know thats a little high, but they will suffice for the time being. That's at a 12.4 a/f (ON THE WIDEBAND) and i've had it as low as 11.5. Fuel delivery is not the problem. I was attempting to tune the VE with the narrow bands using the trims. I know this not the best way, but it will work. It's been done a million times and it works.

Narrow band or wide band doesn't really matter. The only way the car will even run half way decent without the MAF is if the VE values are jacked up into 150's or even higher. That is obviously not right. That is the issue at hand.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post your tune file