PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

HELP! car won't idle & LC-1 DB gauge not reading right

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! car won't idle & LC-1 DB gauge not reading right

i figured i'd open this subject up for some public discussion since i can't seem to figure out what to do. The car is my '01 SS with a HKE 454, TEA TFS 245's, Mamo-ported 102mm FAST, NW 102mm TB, and FTP 104mm lid...etc...it's got a mail order tune from Frost in it, tuned in speed density. it's showing a P0102, P0103, and P0122 DTC.

The car fires right up but once it hits 110*F and goes into closed loop it pretty much dies. it drops to ~500rpm and struggles, loads up, and eventually dies.

I've got a 1/4" drilled in the TB blade. the TPS is unhooked from the TB but still plugged in. This is so the ECM sees 0% throttle and i can open the TB blade up to allow more air in to get the car to idle right.

The IAC counts are 180ish and fluctuate until it goes into closed loop then they fly to 310 and the car starts to die.

I can't get the IAC counts down in the 40-60 range without opening the TB blade WAY past the point of resetting the TPS to 0%.

Another issue is that at 58psi fuel pressure, it is RICH...like fouling plugs rich. i've got the fuel pressure at 30psi now and it STILL seems pretty rich

My Innovate DB gauge hooked to my LC-1 shows 21.9 all the time no matter what except at key-on it flashed 7.4 while it warms up. i've checked my wiring and can't seem to see any problems, so i don't know exactly what my AFR really is.

The nearest person THAT I'M AWARE OF that has HPTuners, EFILive, etc...is almost an hour away, so i don't really have any means of logging or looking in the ECM/tune.

I need to work this out ASAP, if you guys have any suggestions or ideas, i'm all ears. I've been talking with Steve (Frost) quite a bit via email, but since he's 1100 miles away, we can't very easily troubleshoot the situation without him being in/near the car.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had that same gauge last year and ended up buying an aem gauge because we couldn't ever get the gauge to work properly. Ive read the wiring has to be spot on or it will not work. Theres a couple good tuners in springfield
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the settings are right in the LMProgrammer software and do a free air calibration.
You can't do anything about the IAC counts without changing some of the idle parameters.
There are many things that can be going on to cause this,
it 's going to be difficult to diagnose without a log and tune file to look at.
You did tell him what fuel injectors are being used, right?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah he knows they're 60# injectors. One question I have though: the car had 42# in it before...when you tune a ecm, do you put it predetermined values for the injectors, or do you "turn up" what's already there? My thinking is that if he "turned up" the settings from the 42#s thinking they were stock, that would make it severely rich like it is. Does that make sense?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From all I ever heard "predetermined values" are set then everything else is centered around them.

Tweaking can sometimes need to be done tho.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

each set of injectors has a flowrate vs kpa that is changed when going to that specific injector set.