PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floored car, now voltmeter reads 18 volts, altenator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Floored car, now voltmeter reads 18 volts, altenator?

I did a search about voltmeter and altenator problems but only found people who have had volts drop or a slow charging vehicle but as my title says I floored my car yesterday, shifted to second and all of a sudden almost every light on my gauges came on and voltmeter is pegged at 18 volts now. I was luckily close to home and went straight there and shut it off. I came back a couple minutes later, started it again and it goes straight to 18 volts again and when it hits 16-17 or so all the lights go haywire on dash. I'm thinking the altenator voltage regulator inside is bad but before I buy one and change it has anybody else experienced this?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah could be the voltage regulator its defiently not a gauge problem because you said the lights flash and do all sorts of weird **** LOL.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Try disconnecting the alternator and starting the car. If the car settles in at 12v then it is the alternator/regulator.

If not, then take your lightweight 17v battery out of the car and put the 12v back in.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoGo
Try disconnecting the alternator and starting the car. If the car settles in at 12v then it is the alternator/regulator.

If not, then take your lightweight 17v battery out of the car and put the 12v back in.
haha, your thing worked and so I bought an altenator from my friend who had one laying around since he switched to a "power bastards" and my car works perfect again. Sits at abot 14-15 on the gauge and doesn't go up as the rpms go up anymore like a secondary tach.

Quick Reply: Floored car, now voltmeter reads 18 volts, altenator?