PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99' Firehawk (High idle, surging and throttle sticking)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' Firehawk (High idle, surging and throttle sticking)

My 99' Firehawk has a idle problem, the rpm's surge and while driving the throttle will hold as if i had the cruise on. I started doing this about 2 weeks after i had the cats taken off, but the sensors are still connected to the exhaust. i changed the idle control valve, the MAF sensor if cleaned and the computer reads "high idle". The car senselessly idles high then comes back down to about 900 rpm and when the clutch is engaged the idle will surge until i come to a stop making it difficult to drive without burning up the clutch. is this a PCM problem or something with a sensor? if anyone knows please help.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Have you messed with/around the throttle body/intake manifold at all recently?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Been seeing alot of rotted vacuum lines lately,expecially the one for the PCV coming off the intake next to the TB.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had the same exact issue with my lt1 with not cats. As soon as I had the cats put in, it's been normal since. don't know if a tune was necessary to get it out, but putting cats on helped my car. I'm also lt1.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 PM

No vacuum leaks, looked high and low for any signs of tearing or cracked hoses. Didn't touch the intake either. However I did have the cats taken off, and about 2-3 weeks later this problems occurred, didn't think anything of it since I had a 94' LTI Trans am and gutted the cats and noticed no problems. I heard removing the cats wasn't such a bad idea if you were considering putting a performance muffler on the car. If anyone knows any insight about this please let me know, I greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 99' Firehawk (High idle, surging and throttle sticking)