PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early Rev Limiter in 1st and 2nd Gear??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Early Rev Limiter in 1st and 2nd Gear??

For some reason my car wont rev past 4600 rpms in 1st or 2nd gear.. I had it tuned last summer and didn't have time to bring it back to my tuner after I had noticed the problem because I put my car almost immediately into storage. I was also breaking in a new clutch so I never revved it up that high. I talked to my tuner and he's gonna check it out next week now that I have my TA back on the road again. He told me that the neutral rev limiter was set near 4600 and that the in-gear rev limiter was set at 6750. The car drives perfectly at all other rpms and has no problem exceeding 4600 rpms in 3rd or 4th gear (haven't tried 5th cuz that's too damn fast lol). Some of my friends thinks it could be a problem with spark because I've had nearly my entire fuel system checked out.

Last summer before my tune, I put in a new fuel pump, fuel filter, replaced kinked lines to and from the gas tank, replaced the fuel pump sock and I also had my injectors pulled and tested. I cannot imagine what mechanical problem could be causing this.. I'm hoping that my tuner will know what to do and fix what I'm hoping is only a tuning problem. What do you guys think about this??
Old 05-07-2010, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely change the tune before you go tearing the car apart. You need to raise the P/N limit as well.

Last edited by ramairJP; 05-07-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be be odd on a M6 to have tuned in a a Rev Limit lower than stock.

There are a few other Tables like 'Abuse management' or TCS..that might have some influence on managing RPM's per gear..but again a tuner would have went out of their way to have altered it. Even Stock should be at least 6200 Rpms'.

Is it possible there is another problem (mechanical in nature)?
Attached Thumbnails Early Rev Limiter in 1st and 2nd Gear??-rev-limitier.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, that's an idea.. My tuner will see and drive the car this Friday and I'm sure he'll see whats wrong. Its such a strange problem. I will be kinda pissed that he didn't tune it right if it was his fault but relieved at the same time if we discover that it's not a mechanical problem. The car drives flawlessly up til 4600 rpms in first and second and at all rpms in the higher gears. Except for an occasional "small" backfire, I haven't noticed any problems.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

I have sorta the same problem and I did every Fuel cutoff table including the Abuse and TCS one and it will not go above the stock 6200 in all gears. I have tried 6500,6600 and now 6700 and no difference. When I was getting it tuned my tuner said "yeah some cars I have here the computer just won't let it change from stock no matter what I try" He said maybe going to the dealer and getting a stock tune reflashed and starting over fresh on the tuning. Anybody else have this? I know 3 other guys that tuned at this same guy and all their rev limiters raised just fine so I know it's not his fault
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW Iowa WS6
I have sorta the same problem and I did every Fuel cutoff table including the Abuse and TCS one and it will not go above the stock 6200 in all gears. I have tried 6500,6600 and now 6700 and no difference. When I was getting it tuned my tuner said "yeah some cars I have here the computer just won't let it change from stock no matter what I try" He said maybe going to the dealer and getting a stock tune reflashed and starting over fresh on the tuning. Anybody else have this? I know 3 other guys that tuned at this same guy and all their rev limiters raised just fine so I know it's not his fault

That's something to consider but I ******* hate dealerships. Urs sounds like a different issue because its in all gears at it's at the stock rev limiter. That is nowhere near as bad as 4600 rpms! I can't do burnouts and first and second gear are nearly useless for hard acceleration. When I see my tuner this week I'm not gonna leave until the problem is fixed or until he's certain that it's a mechanical problem.

Quick Reply: Early Rev Limiter in 1st and 2nd Gear??