PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaky LS1 computers or somthing else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaky LS1 computers or somthing else?

I May of last year i had a well known shop dyno and tune my Computer. They used LS1 edit to change the computers peramiters. Everything worked fine except for the shift points for the auto trans. while the rev limiter did get raised the computer refused to let the chnaged shift points take effect and continues to this day to shift at the stock shift points. I was told that some cars just to do not want to take the reprogramming. A 99 LS1 with an auto was also at the same shop having the same problem so this is not a 1 car or year thing. The shop had the latest edition of LS1 edit and even contacted Carputing to try and find a solutiuon and none was found. This isn't a big problem right now but i want to do heads and Cam and to get the most out of it shift points will have to be raised. Any others in the same boat or heard of this?

Last edited by 42NightZ28; 01-11-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Teching In

BS - a computer program is data, and if it reads some, it reads all. LS1Edit is not a cure-all magic potion. It's like shaking a box of words and letters and getting a dictionary out. With careful manipulation, a bit of luck and a lot of training you MAY get something useable out.

Many "tuners" just diddle numbers and use big words, and hope to hell the owners don't check their work or have a piston melt...

"Tuning" is an art and a science. Look at the resources GM spends to make these cars run good, provide reliability and meet Federal Reguluations! Personally with LS1Edit's cryptic interface and limited documentation, I am surprised there aren't more melted pistons out there... (IMHO)

Now if you have a non stock engine or drivetrain, than ANY programming (tuning) is SHEER GUESSWORK, because you no longer have a baseline!

Comments from professional tuners welcome!

Last edited by emarkay; 01-11-2004 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emarkay
BS - a computer program is data, and if it reads some, it reads all. LS1Edit is not a cure-all magic potion. It's like shaking a box of words and letters and getting a dictionary out. With careful manipulation, a bit of luck and a lot of training you MAY get something useable out.

Many "tuners" just diddle numbers and use big words, and hope to hell the owners don't check their work or have a piston melt...

"Tuning" is an art and a science. Look at the resources GM spends to make these cars run good, provide reliability and meet Federal Reguluations! Personally with LS1Edit's cryptic interface and limited documentation, I am surprised there aren't more melted pistons out there... (IMHO)

Now if you have a non stock engine or drivetrain, than ANY programming (tuning) is SHEER GUESSWORK, because you no longer have a baseline!

Comments from professional tuners welcome!
How about non Pro's?

Did you get out the wrong side of the bed?
I don't think Edit, with some of it's problems, is that hard to use. I think that understanding what your car needs is the hard part. "Stuff in, stuff out"
It's a little suspect that one shop has the same problem with two cars. Maybe there's a glitch and maybe the tuner forgot to hit apply.

Regarding shift points. Is the poster referring to all shift points or WOT shifts?
By the way, I love EFI live.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

my car was there for 3 weeks trying to be fixed, they never found a cure so this leads me to think it was either an LS1 edit problem or my computers problem.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

its WOT shift points
Old 01-12-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 42NightZ28
its WOT shift points
This may be too simple, but is the tuner setting the MPH at WOT in all the tables much lower than the corresponding RPM's?
Old 01-12-2004, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Either a problem with the tuning or you might want to try a different pcm.

In 98's your change the shift points by increasing the MPH value for the shift point, how does it work for 99's?
Old 01-12-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Either a problem with the tuning or you might want to try a different pcm.

In 98's your change the shift points by increasing the MPH value for the shift point, how does it work for 99's?
John,
I found by keeping the mph and rpm values close together, I didn't have to worry about which comes first.