Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

complete newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Default complete newbie

looking to get into tuning......but as i said...........complete newb.......the stickys were completly useless......and the websites for the tuners are NOT newb freindly......how can i do a search........if i dont even know where to start?????? .......can SOMEONE please make a sticky worthy guide for us newbies
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Step #1 is a resilience test.....how are you holding up?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have gone this long without tuning........so not to bad
Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to my site in my sig and look around. The info there may help.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Excellent Site 69LT1Bird! Awesome!

Hopefully that will help the OP get going, there is certainly some very good info that I'm heading back to explore.

To the OP, you may wish to re visit how you come across when posting & looking for help. Attitude will not work especially with the tuners, if they see a good effort on your part to learn & not have someone do it for you........much better results.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

69lt1bird.......thats great site you have....but it really did not do the job for me....if the mod wont put me in time out..........what i really want to know is.....what tuner did you get......why did you get it........and how do you like it.....these things aint cheap.......so dont wanna waste a bunch of money.....i already know a handheld is useless...........so what options are left?..........yes every 1............i am ignorant.....so enlighten me if you care..........we were all newbies once......
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go out to HP Tuners and EFI Live and compare forums. You can download a demo of EFI Live to see how stuff works, HPT, no demo.

SCT is another newer alternative to look into: http://www.sctflash.com/ADVGM.php

It is up to you. Do you understand software, do you really understand engines and how they work, fuel, spark, timing, airflow, etc. If you do not, don't waste your time, our time and your money. Just pay for a tune and be done with it.

It is not for everyone. I have HP Tuners, there are times I wish I had EFI Live but in the end they are both good tools with each having good and bad sides.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

it seems to me on the tuners websites......they are geared to.........buy our product then sort it out in our forums.....and then i dont get the whole.....credit thingy.....so buying a tuner is not enough? you have to spend more? not having one i dont know how steep the learning curve is....is it harder than it has to be....i see some tuners offer classes for their product.......at additional $$......so the major players are HP tuners, EFI live and sctflash i take it? ........and yes i do understand software......i am a self taught computer tech who later got a piece of toliet paper...er.......degree.......if you ever wanna have fun........downgrade a vista computer to xp....like i did last nite on a acer 6930.....and i do understand cars......rebuilt a 700r tranny on my living room floor.......so not a idiot.....jus a newb
Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

guess i need 1 of those..........TUNING FOR DUMMYS books
Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Step #2 is an aptitude test.....guess were you scored.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

high enough to get in the army????
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say he did very well on the aptitude test. I'm confident that you could tune the car, but it would take time and you'd definately experience a few 'lessons learned'. As you said, everyone was a newbie at one point in time, Even the genius who rated you on the aptitude test. If he can do it, so can you.

The EFI Live includes two vin tunes, if you want to tune more than two cars, you'd need to buy addition vins. After blazing the same trail you did, I decided to have someone who has more time on his hands tune the car. I figured I could pay someone 350 for a tune and dyno time for WOT evaluation.

Semper Fi