Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evap Canister solenoid circuit question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap Canister solenoid circuit question

LS6 2005 PCM, in a 99 Miata. PCM controls the evap canister purge solenoid. I have a solenoid on my canister but I have not hooked up the wiring.

Question: The top of my engine has a fuel return line which I hooked up to my old Miata return line that heads back for the canister. Does the solenoid need to be hooked up to the PCM? Under what conditions does the PCM decide to activate the solenoid? I could wire it up but it would be a pain right now with the canister in the rear of the car. DOnt mind doind it, only if I need to.

Im having momentary low horsepower acceleration on hot days when I stomp on the throttle. Example. 30mph 3rd gear ~2krpm, hold speed on a hot day. Then stomp on it. Acceleration is ~50% of normal for a few seconds, then she hits the afterburners and accelerates normally. This could be any number of things but Im concerned about the evap canister solenoid not hooked up and I dont understand its purpose.

Thanks for your help.
Mike
Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will burn the fuel vapors through the motor when you are cruising down the highway. If you have the canister purge solenoid on the motor just use it and get rid of the one at the rear of your car. Or run the wires to the one you have at the rear.

Check the MAF for the acceleration issue probably dirty.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are two solenoids:
- purge solenoid: controls manifold vacuum entry into evap line.
- vent solenoid: opens/closes canister to atmosphere.

Which solenoid do you have connected...?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a specific reason for retaining the evap canister...?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to retain the EVAP system or you need to correct the Fuel Tables by adding fuel to them.
If you run the Vent valve you will need to run the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTPS). You don't have to run the vent valve or the FTPS.
You should disable the EVAP diagnostics and some of the DTC's

I use the stock Purge valve and a Cobalt Charcoal Canister. Some of the Cobalt Canisters have the FTPS built into them and they all have the Vent Valve on them.

Quick Reply: Evap Canister solenoid circuit question