PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 M6 car. Swapped PCMs and now no Speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine stopped working I replaced the VSS sensor and it didn't help. I spent hours tracing the entire speed loop in the car with the multimeter. I traced the VSS to PCM, PCM to car interior, car interior to gauge cluster. In my case, the cluster was bad and was replaced. I doubt your car is a PCM issue since you 'wrote entire' after swapping it in. As long as the PCM was working prior to the install I highly doubt this is the cause.

Here are some things you should check:
-Wiring from PCM to gauge cluster. Pull the gauge cluster, find some schematics, go from pin xx to gauge cluster pin xx to check continuity
-Check to make sure the VSS itself is sending a signal- if you have HPTuners or EFILive and that reads the speed, then the cluster is bad
-Lastly, it sounds like your transmission is beginning to fail. I would have that checked as a last resort

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the tranny. The grinding is from the reverse lockout not working because the vehicle isn't reading movement. Just be careful not to hit reverse instead of 5th.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Where can I find a "scope" and could I get a link to an example of one on the internet? Will a multimeter not work for this?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

See my above post and check for continuity between the connector, pcm, and cluster. If you have a scan tool like hptuners, verify that the scanner is reading mph. If it is, then the cluster is bad.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Update:

I checked for continuity from the 2-wire VSS plug and the computer. The purple wire has .000 loss going to pin 71 (perfect continuity). The other wire (the white wire), however, doesn't show continuity with any wire going to the pcm or ground. Where is the white wire supposed to go?

HpTuner's Scanner does not read any mph.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlc1609
Update:

I checked for continuity from the 2-wire VSS plug and the computer. The purple wire has .000 loss going to pin 71 (perfect continuity). The other wire (the white wire), however, doesn't show continuity with any wire going to the pcm or ground. Where is the white wire supposed to go?

HpTuner's Scanner does not read any mph.
Pin 7 and it should be a yellow wire not a white one, it might be faded
Old 08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Pin 7 and it should be a yellow wire not a white one, it might be faded
Thanks for the help. Pin 7 does shows .000 loss in continuity with the other wire down on the VSS plug.

I believe this now eliminates the two VSS wires and VSS sensor as being my problem.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
When mine stopped working I replaced the VSS sensor and it didn't help. I spent hours tracing the entire speed loop in the car with the multimeter. I traced the VSS to PCM, PCM to car interior, car interior to gauge cluster. In my case, the cluster was bad and was replaced. I doubt your car is a PCM issue since you 'wrote entire' after swapping it in. As long as the PCM was working prior to the install I highly doubt this is the cause.

Here are some things you should check:
-Wiring from PCM to gauge cluster. Pull the gauge cluster, find some schematics, go from pin xx to gauge cluster pin xx to check continuity
-Check to make sure the VSS itself is sending a signal- if you have HPTuners or EFILive and that reads the speed, then the cluster is bad
-Lastly, it sounds like your transmission is beginning to fail. I would have that checked as a last resort

Good luck!
Thanks for your help so far. I wanted to clear up the fact that I'm not sure the VSS part of the PCM was working prior to my installation as the previous owner sold the PCM to me with his car still having problems.

This, along with the fact HP Tuners doesn't read anything, is the reason I haven't worked on tracing and testing wires going to and from the cluster.

If I do determine the computer has a problem, 98camaro28, are you willing to give me my money back or find me a replacement?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As I have said before, the PCM never had a problem when I had it. I'm sure irony is really pissing you off right now, but I can't help that. I will be more than happy to help you track down the problem and, if need be, find you a PCM. However, I will not be refunding your money as I have absolutely NO reason to believe that there was an issue with it until after you received it. Which brings me to a question that I just thought of:

Is it possible that me driving my car for quite some time without a speedo caused the computer to somehow "delete" any speedo-related abilities? I know this sounds a little far-fetched, but just thought I would see if anybody had any input...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
Its a tool that will see the "wave" patter of the VSS reading off the reluctor wheel in the tranny. The faster the wheels are spinning, the higher the frequency. Im pretty sure the VSS output is a green wire, but I can't remember what exact pin it is. Im sure somebody here can go into better detail, but its pretty simple.
since you have a 98 does your cruise control work?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it has the 02 PCM now, and I haven't tried to use it since the swap, so IDK. I guess whenever my SLP Bilsteins come in (ordered over 2 months ago) I can get my car off the jackstands and on the road and find out.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

If you swap to an 02 PCM you need to swap over the engine harness (or re-pin yours), gauge cluster and interior harness. Might even run into some issues with the BCM's as well. The 99-02 gauge cluster uses a serial connection and if you only swap the actual PCM and repin the engine harness, the interior harness is still not proper.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you swap to an 02 PCM you need to swap over the engine harness (or re-pin yours), gauge cluster and interior harness. Might even run into some issues with the BCM's as well. The 99-02 gauge cluster uses a serial connection and if you only swap the actual PCM and repin the engine harness, the interior harness is still not proper.
I don't know why exactly you're telling me this. I have absolutely no issues with my swap and have had everything completed for quite some time now.

And FYI, all you have to do is re-pin the harness, as I did, and swap the fuel segment so the fuel gauge still works. Thats it. Again, I don't know where you got all that other stuff from.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know why exactly you're telling me this. I have absolutely no issues with my swap and have had everything completed for quite some time now.

And FYI, all you have to do is re-pin the harness, as I did, and swap the fuel segment so the fuel gauge still works. Thats it. Again, I don't know where you got all that other stuff from.
I looked into swapping my PCM to a 99-02 configuration. I printed the 98 and 99-02 pinouts for the PCM as well as the interior harness details and gauge cluster pin outs.

Re-pinning a 98 engine harness, or swapping to a 99-02 engine harness is the easy part. From the engine harness to the interior harness there are 3 or 4 plugs. One of these plugs includes the serial connection for a 99-02 gauge cluster. To make everything in the gauge cluster work like it would have stock, I found the interior harness and cluster itself had to be replaced so I scrapped the idea of the swap.

I don't have the data in front of me- its home. It's also been quite a while since I've researched this but I remember you had to swap the interior components out too in order for it to work 100%.

I'll check tonight and see if I still have the data.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

I looked into swapping my PCM to a 99-02 configuration. I printed the 98 and 99-02 pinouts for the PCM as well as the interior harness details and gauge cluster pin outs.

Re-pinning a 98 engine harness, or swapping to a 99-02 engine harness is the easy part. From the engine harness to the interior harness there are 3 or 4 plugs. One of these plugs includes the serial connection for a 99-02 gauge cluster. To make everything in the gauge cluster work like it would have stock, I found the interior harness and cluster itself had to be replaced so I scrapped the idea of the swap.

I don't have the data in front of me- its home. It's also been quite a while since I've researched this but I remember you had to swap the interior components out too in order for it to work 100%.

I'll check tonight and see if I still have the data.
If you do the PCM upgrade (with a properly flashed PCM), repin the PCM connectors and leave the 98 cluster and harnesses in place, the only issues should be, no EGR(if you use the 2002 OS), the low oil light will not work, the skip shift light will not work, and the traction control no longer works, small price to pay to get rid of the slow 98 PCM.
The improvements includes, more and expanded tables(with the right tuning package), better idle control, and better shifting for the automatics, since it doesn't run against the rev limit a lot of times like the 98 PCM's do
Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by poconojoe
If you do the PCM upgrade (with a properly flashed PCM), repin the PCM connectors and leave the 98 cluster and harnesses in place, the only issues should be, no EGR(if you use the 2002 OS), the low oil light will not work, the skip shift light will not work, and the traction control no longer works, small price to pay to get rid of the slow 98 PCM.
The improvements includes, more and expanded tables(with the right tuning package), better idle control, and better shifting for the automatics, since it doesn't run against the rev limit a lot of times like the 98 PCM's do
For some reason I thought the serial component of the 99-02 cluster was involved with the speedo. Like I said, I don't have the stuff in front of me.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

For some reason I thought the serial component of the 99-02 cluster was involved with the speedo. Like I said, I don't have the stuff in front of me.
If you ever want to do it, let me know, I have the files and equipment (license free) to do it. I live about an hour and a half north of you but one of my sisters lives in Roslyn and another is foolish enough to live in Philly (I think its northeast, but I'm not sure) I only go to see her if she needs something done
Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I did was re-pin the 98 harness and buy a PCM from Jesse at Wait4Me performance for the swap. EVERYTHING works as it should, with the exception of cruise control. No other mods are needed.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

As I have said before, the PCM never had a problem when I had it. I'm sure irony is really pissing you off right now, but I can't help that. I will be more than happy to help you track down the problem and, if need be, find you a PCM. However, I will not be refunding your money as I have absolutely NO reason to believe that there was an issue with it until after you received it. Which brings me to a question that I just thought of:

Is it possible that me driving my car for quite some time without a speedo caused the computer to somehow "delete" any speedo-related abilities? I know this sounds a little far-fetched, but just thought I would see if anybody had any input...
If your second paragraph is true, that the computer developed a problem from your car (which is what i've kinda thought all along), it means the computer had a problem when you sold it to me.

So you say you won't refund my money, and yet you are willing to explore the possibility that your car might have done this and you sold me a computer that indeed had developed a problem?

All I'm looking for is this: If I can conclusively prove the computer has a problem, will you refund or send me a different, working computer?

If not, and you want to say things like "Well, the computer might have developed a problem after I sold it to you", then save your time and leave the please leave the thread. There is too much evidence against you if the computer turns out to have a real problem.

You really can't have any idea if the computer had developed a problem or not, as you swapped to a newer pcm before you got your speedo working. Who knows what a broken reluctor wheel sending crazy signals can do to a pcm. Instead of allowing the possibility that you sold me a problematic pcm, you have been very quick to say there was absolutely NO problem with the computer.

Last edited by dlc1609; 08-23-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
since you have a 98 does your cruise control work?
Well it has the 02 PCM now, and I haven't tried to use it since the swap, so IDK. I guess whenever my SLP Bilsteins come in (ordered over 2 months ago) I can get my car off the jackstands and on the road and find out.
All I did was re-pin the 98 harness and buy a PCM from Jesse at Wait4Me performance for the swap. EVERYTHING works as it should, with the exception of cruise control. No other mods are needed.
So you got your shocks on and tested your cruise control already?