PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0133 and p0153

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, a LOT of them do... I've had to do SEVERAL custom tunes for people on here, as well as from other forums, for LT headers installs...

not all LT headers require them or have the O2 sensors too far away... most do, but not all...

and those that don't post about issues, most likely have had those codes tuned out already since they have been custom tuned for mods already...

shorties don't have the problem at all...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-19-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

hmmmmmm
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
the longer wiring harness makes it take longer for the pcm to receive a response/reply back from the O2 sensors... it doesn't get a response/reply back as quickly as it's looking for one...
A longer wire by itself cannot increase response time of a sensor. Response time is affected by the lack of heat in the sensor due to the increased distance from the combustion. The wiring has NOTHING to do with it.

uhhh...

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 09-20-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Im NOT a tuner or know a whole lot about it but...since we are talking about something so small as millivolts needed for proper o2 operation and reading wouldnt different length leads have SOMETHING to do with it? I mean,I know the conduction of electric is very fast but since we are talking millivolts and longer conductors I would think its a good arguement. IDK
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
A longer wire by itself cannot increase response time of a sensor. Response time is affected by the lack of heat in the sensor due to the increased distance from the combustion. The wiring has NOTHING to do with it.

uhhh...
ok.. so, then once the vehicle has been ran a while and is all warmed up... O2's are still heated up... clear the code... then start it up and run it for a while... see if that light/ slow response trouble code doesn't come back again...

it shouldn't, right?? cuz the O2's are already heated up, right??

aaahhhh, but it DOES...

so why is that, if the O2's are still heated up already??? heh...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-20-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok.. so, then once the vehicle has been ran a while and is all warmed up... O2's are still heated up... clear the code... then start it up and run it for a while... see if that light/ slow response trouble code doesn't come back again...

it shouldn't, right?? cuz the O2's are already heated up, right??

aaahhhh, but it DOES...

so why is that, if the O2's are still heated up already??? heh...

I edited my original post to be nice, but you still don't get it.

You're a sponsor here, and a tuner too?

I strongly suggest you learn some electrical basics before posting anymore correct information... like how a foot of wire cannot affect a sensor signal, without introducing resistance to the circuit through some other means (corrosion, incorrect gauge, etc). The only way a length of wire could "slow response" like you suggest is if the wire was several hundred feet long.

The reason you see the DTC(s) return after clearing is because of the restart, when the PCM checks for O2 sensor response. When you shut off the engine, the sensors cool. They take time to warm up to operting temperature again, even if the engine was only off for a short time. If it was due to just the wier extension like you claim, the DTC would at least show pending status IMMEDIATELY after clearing KOER.

I also suggest you make a standalone circuit of some sort using that extension, and do a voltage drop test. Post your results
Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

longer wire has more resistance... requires more "energy" to get from one end to the other... takes longer... requires more energy to get from one end to the other...

electrons have more distance to cover in a longer wire than a shorter one... and if the wire is thinner, there's more resistance too... also, as the temp of the wire increases, so does it's resistance yet again....

granted, it may not be the ONLY reason... but it plays a part... and I even said in a previous reply that it is also because the O2's are further away... good lord... I quit...

doesn't matter... doesn't change the fact that the answer to the OP is still that he needs to have his tune re-done in order to stop those codes from being triggered and the CEL coming on, which is what this thread was about to begin with...

I'm done...

Old 09-20-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow,cleaned my maf today,it was filthy, took out the k&n and put in a paper filter and one of my header bolts was lose maybe it fixed my car.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

longer wire has more resistance... requires more "energy" to get from one end to the other... takes longer... requires more energy to get from one end to the other...

electrons have more distance to cover in a longer wire than a shorter one... and if the wire is thinner, there's more resistance too... also, as the temp of the wire increases, so does it's resistance yet again....
Again, in case you missed it:

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I strongly suggest you learn some electrical basics before posting anymore correct information... like how a foot of wire cannot affect a sensor signal, without introducing resistance to the circuit through some other means (corrosion, incorrect gauge, etc). The only way a length of wire could "slow response" like you suggest is if the wire was several hundred feet long.
A foot or two of braided copper wire used for the O2 extension would have a resistance of around .001 ohm!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ummmm, I think you answered your own question - I did not have it tuned after the headers were installed.

Slow response is pretty common up here in the NE.Takes a long time for 02's to work on the cold days.Match that with the car not dialed(tuned) in then you can easilly throw those codes. A retune would of been cheaper than buying 02 sensors.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

granted, it may not be the ONLY reason... but it plays a part... and I even said in a previous reply that it is also because the O2's are further away... good lord... I quit...

doesn't matter... doesn't change the fact that the answer to the OP is still that he needs to have his tune re-done in order to stop those codes from being triggered and the CEL coming on, which is what this thread was about to begin with...

I'm done...
Not looking to argue, but I will say it has nothing to do with the length of the wire. The o2's being further away is what we're talking about here - cause the egt's cant keep the o2 sensor heated.

Would be a good test to put your longer harness o2 into a shorty header or stock manifold and see if you get the slow response codes... I doubt it'll change a thing....
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Ummmm, I think you answered your own question - I did not have it tuned after the headers were installed.

Slow response is pretty common up here in the NE.Takes a long time for 02's to work on the cold days.Match that with the car not dialed(tuned) in then you can easilly throw those codes. A retune would of been cheaper than buying 02 sensors.
Alright so after I get some things takin care of and get the stall in ill bring it to you. Do you happen to do tc installs? I wanna do it myself but not sure if I will or not.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Alright so after I get some things takin care of and get the stall in ill bring it to you. Do you happen to do tc installs? I wanna do it myself but not sure if I will or not.
Yes,we do everything mechanical to these cars.

Quick Reply: p0133 and p0153