Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0133 and p0153

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default p0133 and p0153

Yes, I know,do a search I did and there seems to be alot of false info about this. This is the "Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response" p0153 p0133.

This question gets responses like..."a correct tune will correct this"...but when I talk to "proffessional tuners" they say theres nothing that can be done about it. They can tune out the codes but dosent fix the problem.

Another answer I get is "use the corvette o2s with longer extentions because the heater is stronger in them and problem fixed" ( THIS WAS ACTUALY SAID BY A WELL KNOWN TUNER ON THIS BOARD) but others say..."its the same heater element" Well,either way you see it...it dosent seem to matter because I bought the vette o2s and guess what? Yea the codes are back.

A code P0133 or P0153 may mean that one or more of the following has happened
The oxygen sensor is faulty
The wiring to the sensor is broken / frayed
There is an exhaust leak

Ok,I dont have an exhaust leak.
The connections are fine.
So I must have another set of bad o2s after only a couple months? This is rediculous.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a lot of times those codes normally get thrown because of long tube headers...

and yes, the trouble codes can just be disabled in a custom tune... and you're done.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
a lot of times those codes normally get thrown because of long tube headers...

and yes, the trouble codes can just be disabled in a custom tune... and you're done.
I don't turn them off. In nearly 1,500 cars now I'd know if there was a problem in not disabling them. I hear about EVERY code that a car EVER gets after I tune it; even if it's 2 years later and it's totally unrelated.

Maybe you are thinking of insufficient switching codes 1133 and 1153. From the OP's comments concerning his search, I think he may be confusing the numbers as well.

Last edited by Frost; 08-15-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Absolutley not! This is NOT 1133 and 1153 im talking about. After searching and reading I see other people get those mixed up but im well aware of it.

Insufficient Switching is the 1133,1153

Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response is 0153,0133
Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever figure this out?i got 133.153,1134,1154 codes
Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

No,I even exchanged yet another o2 a couple weeks ago. No 133 or 153 yet. But it will be back im sure.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frost
I don't turn them off. In nearly 1,500 cars now I'd know if there was a problem in not disabling them. I hear about EVERY code that a car EVER gets after I tune it; even if it's 2 years later and it's totally unrelated.

Maybe you are thinking of insufficient switching codes 1133 and 1153. From the OP's comments concerning his search, I think he may be confusing the numbers as well.
no, I know what numbers I'm talking about... heh...

get those codes a lot of times when people use the wiring extensions for the front O2 sensors because of installing headers...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

no, I know what numbers I'm talking about... heh...

get those codes a lot of times when people use the wiring extensions for the front O2 sensors because of installing headers...
So instead of addressing an actual physical problem, you turn off the mechanism used to report the problem... ?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
So I must have another set of bad o2s after only a couple months? This is rediculous.
So what you are saying is that this code sets after several weeks to a couple of months? Sounds like, to me anyways, that if you had a circuit concern it would flag the code a little sooner.

Does your engine burn an excessive amount of oil? Have you been using any additives in the fuel (leaded fuel , maybe)?? Any smoke out the exhaust? It sounds like your sensors are getting contaminated somehow... I've seen people use silicone-gasket maker on their engine thats not sensor safe and burn the o2's out.

What was the last thing you did before these codes occured?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...ease-help.html heres the link to my thread.people are telling me that it can be fixed with a retune,what do you think?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Intimidator02SS
So what you are saying is that this code sets after several weeks to a couple of months? Sounds like, to me anyways, that if you had a circuit concern it would flag the code a little sooner.

Does your engine burn an excessive amount of oil? Have you been using any additives in the fuel (leaded fuel , maybe)?? Any smoke out the exhaust? It sounds like your sensors are getting contaminated somehow... I've seen people use silicone-gasket maker on their engine thats not sensor safe and burn the o2's out.

What was the last thing you did before these codes occured?

I didnt just start investigating this yesterday iv been at it for a while .
Theres a couple things I have been wondering and going to try to fix. Example..
1 theres high temp rtv on the header gaskets so pretty soon im going to take it all off and reinstall without rtv.
2 I have used seafoam,mopar cumbustion chamber cleaner,and lucas upper cylinder lube. I dont know of anyone whos ever had trouble with those. I also STOPED using that stuff before the last couple o2s started throwing those codes and iv been through many tanks of gas so idk why how that could be it.
Yes,the codes take a while to set(months or weeks)
Im not burning excesive oil.
I dont appear to have any exhaust leaks. My wiring is fine. First I had the o2 extentions (the good ones not spliced) then I decided to try the vette ones with longer leads. Still ended up with the codes.
Like I said I just got another one a couple weeks ago and its doing good...AT THE MOMENT

Tell me what you think about this...
Half year ago I had the car tuned (THIS WAS BEFORE THE HEADERS,OFF ROAD Y PIPE) so the car hasnt been tuned AFTER those mods. Could it be possible that the car is running so rich that the o2s get these codes?

This all seems rediculous and im pissed that im stuck with this uncommon ****.

Last edited by senicalj4579; 09-19-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have high temp rtv on the header to tsp exaust connection.its down stream from the 02and says o2 safe but could that be the problem?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frost
So instead of addressing an actual physical problem, you turn off the mechanism used to report the problem... ?
why not? you do the same thing to the rear O2 trouble codes when people remove the CAT's and rear O2 sensors from their vehicles... need to disable those codes... only fix for that "physical" problem is to not remove the cats/rear O2 sensors... unless you use O2 sims that are now illegal to sell/use...

the slow response codes for the front O2's is no big deal - doesn't hinder performance at all... so you can just disable those codes... or, if you really want to keep them enabled, adjust the response/reporting delay... doesn't make a difference either way... they still take the same amount of time to report back to the pcm, no matter which way you do it... changing the response/delay isn't going to make them report back any faster like stock - not when there's extensions being used. the pcm just waits a longer amount of time for a response...

the only fix for the "physical" problem so you don't have to disable the code, is to not use wiring extensions on the front O2's at all... and for a lot of headers, that is not possible...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
1 theres high temp rtv on the header gaskets so pretty soon im going to take it all off and reinstall without rtv.
2 I have used seafoam,mopar cumbustion chamber cleaner,and lucas upper cylinder lube. I dont know of anyone whos ever had trouble with those. I also STOPED using that stuff before the last couple o2s started throwing those codes and iv been through many tanks of gas so idk why how that could be it.
Yes,the codes take a while to set(months or weeks)
Im not burning excesive oil.
I dont appear to have any exhaust leaks. My wiring is fine. First I had the o2 extentions (the good ones not spliced) then I decided to try the vette ones with longer leads. Still ended up with the codes.
Like I said I just got another one a couple weeks ago and its doing good...AT THE MOMENT

Tell me what you think about this...
Half year ago I had the car tuned (THIS WAS BEFORE THE HEADERS,OFF ROAD Y PIPE) so the car hasnt been tuned AFTER those mods. Could it be possible that the car is running so rich that the o2s get these codes?

This all seems rediculous and im pissed that im stuck with this uncommon ****.
1. If it is not sensor safe rtv - even one small dab on each header will definately burn out sensors... And the silicone will off-gas for a very long time, so even replacing with new sensors may end up in fowling those up too.
2. I don't see any problem with the additives you have been using..
3. If your car is running rich and can't lean itself down, you would set 2 different codes for system too rich bank 1 and 2 (p0172 & p0175) -- so you can probably rule that situation out.

I would definately check what silicone you used on your headers first, and if its not sensor safe - change it.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

the slow response codes for the front O2's is no big deal - doesn't hinder performance at all...

the only fix for the "physical" problem so you don't have to disable the code, is to not use wiring extensions on the front O2's at all... and for a lot of headers, that is not possible...
I would argue with what you say about the slow response of the front o2's being no big deal and that it doesn't hinder performance. Thats like saying using a 14.4 k dial up modem has the same performance of a dsl modem. It may still function and it may adjust for rich/lean exhaust readings, but if the setup is designed to switch at least 10 times in 5-6 seconds (i'm not sure what the real values are) and it now sweeps/switches once every 60 seconds - how is that not hinder performance at all?

Second - thinking outside the box about how the pcm monitors this particular code - there are more reasons for this code than using a longer harness. It has to do with how often the o2 values go from below 300mv to above 600mv within certain conditions. What does that have to do with wiring extensions? Maybe I'm missing something here??
Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Theres really no way for me to check if its sensor safe at this point. When I reinstall it all there will not be any sealant used at all.
I also used copper permatex around the outside of the joints off the ypipe and a bead around the inside of the band clamps but I dont believe those outside fumes would EVER make it inside the pipes.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Intimidator02SS
What does that have to do with wiring extensions? Maybe I'm missing something here??
the longer wiring harness makes it take longer for the pcm to receive a response/reply back from the O2 sensors... it doesn't get a response/reply back as quickly as it's looking for one...

so, if there is not an actual problem with the O2 sensor itself, you either change the trouble code setting so that it reports "no error", or you adjust the response/delay time in the tune file - so that the pcm will wait a little longer before checking for a reponse back from the O2 sensors... simple as that... don't see what all the hubbub is about...

(I meant so that it reports "no error" from the beginning of all this, my bad for the wrong choice of words)

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-19-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

the longer wiring harness makes it take longer for the pcm to receive a response/reply back from the O2 sensors... it doesn't get a response/reply back as quickly as it's looking for one...

uhhh..
Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so, if there is not an actual problem with the O2 sensor itself, you either change the trouble code setting so that it reports "no error", or you adjust the response/delay time in the tune file - so that the pcm will wait a little longer before checking for a reponse back from the O2 sensors... simple as that... don't see what all the hubbub is about...

(I meant so that it reports "no error" from the beginning of all this, my bad for the wrong choice of words)
Hmm I don't think the problem is the ext wires... Unless they have bad contacts. I mean we're only talking about 1 ft of extension. The problems are the stock parameters-settings of stock oem O2 sensors. It takes a little longer for the O2 to heat up and get signals in and out for the fact that longtube headers placement of the sensors are more towards downstream compare to our stock exh manifolds.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If longer o2 sensor wires were the problem then wouldn't there be daily threads on this with this same problem? Seeing as how 90% of the cars here have LT's or have had at one point.

Quick Reply: p0133 and p0153