PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

build near complete - do I need a dyno tune or is a street tune adequate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build near complete - do I need a dyno tune or is a street tune adequate?

I did a topic search and couldn't find a post on this although I'm sure it's a common question. I'm nearly completed an engine swap with some mods (heads/cam/LT's) how do I know whether I require a street tune vs. a dyno?
What is the pro;'s and con's?
If a dyno, how many pulls should I expect?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need both. You can't do true driveability tuning on just a dyno, too many factors on the street, even the factory doesn't just tune on a dyno.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good tuner will tune on both the dyno and the street. It can be done only on the street with a wideband, but then you don't have the feedback of the dyno (or track) to tell you what the combination wants as far as fuel and spark to make the most power/torque throughout the band...
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Both, dyno and street

but I'm not certain I would wideband it on the street. I would just take it out for drivability.
A GX cam in an automateic usually requires some street tuning for drivability. Also shift points should be checked on the street with that tranny/converter setup.

That setup would probably take me 2 hours on the dyno, between 6-10 pulls if everything was working properly. Probably another hour on the street. Maybe more if the idle was fussy.