Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk ECMs :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk ECMs :D

ok, I'm looking for an exact reason as to why I can't use a ECM from a Silverado with a 5.3 to bolt up to a manual, because the transmission is controlled by a TCM isn't it? or is it made in to one complete unit?

How would a Stock ECM for a 5.3 react to Shorter intake? such as a ls1 or ls2? surely there would be some tuning involved in this I would think.

Will using a lower fuel pressure on this ECM make it freak out and cause a No-Start condition? or to high for that matter?

as far as integration, I'm not sure how the Gauges and everything will work on my Cluster, is that even possible for a Camaro?

will this ECM have to be flashed because of VIN recognition? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have that on it, but I want to make sure I have my bases Covered in one post.

thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Teching In

you could flash it for proper calibration, manual trans etc by putting a car program in it. The ecm's of the same series are identical be it manual trans auto etc, the difference in the software
Old 08-28-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the controller is the same then it won't matter. As above its the calibration that matters as it needs to be compatible with the car. VIN numbers don't matter to the car itself in most instances. HPTuners does rely on VIN numbers for licensing for some stupid reason so that me be where your confused about controller compatibility. If that is all that is holding you back then get the VIN changed and an appropriate cal flashed in with another tuning suite like EFI LIVE that offers more freedoms in this regard.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackangel327
ok, I'm looking for an exact reason as to why I can't use a ECM from a Silverado with a 5.3 to bolt up to a manual, because the transmission is controlled by a TCM isn't it? or is it made in to one complete unit? .
Depending on the year, would deturmine, if the trans controller is separate. On you 99 F-body it is built in to the PCM.
The only way you're going to use the Silverado PCM is to reflash is with the F-body OS.

How would a Stock ECM for a 5.3 react to Shorter intake? such as a ls1 or ls2? surely there would be some tuning involved in this I would think. .
Loss of some of the low end torque, lots of guys never retune them them after swapping the intakes

Will using a lower fuel pressure on this ECM make it freak out and cause a No-Start condition? or to high for that matter? .
Yes, too low would e more of an issue then too high and a much more common problem

as far as integration, I'm not sure how the Gauges and everything will work on my Cluster, is that even possible for a Camaro? .
You'd need to be running the F-body OS to get all the gauges to work properly in your F-body

will this ECM have to be flashed because of VIN recognition? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have that on it, but I want to make sure I have my bases Covered in one post.
Thanks.
As long as you have an F-body OS in the PCM, F-body shouldn't have an issue with the VIN, F-bodies use a PWM modulated VATS signal, so it doesn't check the the VIN, the Silverado OS on the other hand uses a serial VATS system and does compare the VIN.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

thank you for the replies!

So it looks like no matter what I do I have to have it flashed. so is this something that can be done Easier (and by easy I mean cheaper) by me or having someone else do that for me? I don't plan on doing much in the way of Future mods to it. Exhaust, maybe, MAYBE cam later on down the line.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a new member but have referred to the forums for many years now. I searched for what I am going to ask but nothing close to my scenario I believe. Here goes: a 98 t/a body with all 2001 t/a ls1,t-56 body wiring harness, 2000 t/a engine harness, 2004 gto ls1 completly refitted for trans am. Now knowing what I have what kind of ECM and or flashing would I need. Asked a seller of eBay an he said it would cost $250 and cost of shipping. Any clues and or comments are greatly appreciated, Thanks!