Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Tune!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Tune!!!

So my buddy hit me up asking if I wanted a free tune....I said...why heck yeah!

It's my buddy's father-in-law who has a dyno in his steel shop down on his property. It's a floor dyno that I pulled 297 rwhp and 315 rwtq on when I first got the car. Since then I've done a few things and am anxious to get another run...but I need to get my headers on the car and with finances being so tight...I haven't been able to buy the flowtech y-pipe ($141), percy's gaskets ($35), 02 extensions ($30), or the solid motor mounts ($150) that I'll def need since my engine's sagging quite a bit. So I need $350 just to get the headers on and then I was looking at another $275 w/free dyno time just to get it tuned by frost.

Well my buddy's father-in-law has always tuned his own carb cars...but is wanting to get into tuning fuel injected cars. So he's asking that I bring the TA back down there and let him tune it....free! Yeah I'm a test bed, but what's great is I'll be able to learn a ton with him since I'd like to get into doing it myself as well. I'm not sure what software he'll be running, but i know he's a genius when it comes to cars and I have 100% confidence that he won't let me leave until it's just right. So as soon as I get the $$$ to get these headers on, I'm going to head down there and spend a whole day tuning, learning, and drooling over his '69 483 ci/na and '76? 483 ci/procharged Firebirds. The '69 is running 10's but he gets kicked off tracks and he hasn't tracked the '76 yet...but they're both build to launch hard and with the procharger he should be in the 9's after he does all the safety stuff he needs to run it.

So I'm looking forward to seeing what numbers I pull with all the stuff I've done. I started with just a magnaflow catback and the TOTALLY AWESOME k&n filter...oohhh yeah..haha.

Since then I've done SLP lid...free air mods......ported MAF...ported TB...(will port TB before I go)....smooth bellow....LS6 intake...(by then I'll have the flowtech LT's w/ORY)...and now a LM1 catback instead of the magnaflow. Also did EGR!...small I know, but something.

I'm hoping to see at least 325 rwhp/335 rwtq. Do ya'll have any guesses?

Also...for those who care and are still reading..haha...obviously once I find out what software he'll be using I'm going to be doing a TON of research. Searching the boards...web...figuring out what's important, but do ya'll have any ideas of something that stands out as a WATCH OUT FOR???...besides being a test bed? haha.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is either going to go really well or really horrible lol.. I would do a shitload of research like you said before going through with this.. its not just plug the computer in and start messing around with **** and its going to make it better lol.. there are no screws to adjust on computers lol
Old 08-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Launching!

trust me I hear ya....and I'm leaning towards the really well option...haha.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope he is doing a ton of research...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djfury05
there are no screws to adjust on computers lol
lmfao
Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest piece of advice for him, if he doesn't know anything about fuel injection, is 1 change at a time!!!!!!!!!!

Don't go over 26 degrees timing at WOT and no leaner than 12.5 until he gets comfortable.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just like djfury05 stated.....you better do a ton of research.....cuz BOTH of you will be learning a ton. If I were in your position, I'd take him up on the offer....but only after having a good grasp of what actually needed to be done, and HOW it gets done.

Wish ya the best of luck.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm only an hour and a half away (with favorable NoVA traffic). Full wideband tuning on the dyno and street for your boltons car is only $350.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
coD
FormerVendor

You could save $100 by going with the poly motor mounts $50. A lot smoother ride too.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
The House is Rockin'

i forsee a new thread getting started in a week with the title "engine fubard, is it my tune?"