PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfiring.....Possible to be Tune Related???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Backfiring.....Possible to be Tune Related???

It's not an LSx car, it's an LT1, but I'm running a FAST XFI and frankly, motor shouldn't matter.

What I'm getting is a light load low throttle sporadic but constant backfire. Like if I'm just barely slipping the clutch while leaving from a stop or pulling into my driveway. Sometimes at steady state cruise even, if I'm at really low throttle input (in the 3-12% range).

I've tried advancing and retarding timing, adding and subtracting fuel. Right now it's running a bit fat, in the 12.8-14.0 area due to the minimal tuning done to it, and the ONLY thing that's helped is pulling the timing WAY back, to slug point. If I get more aggressive with the throttle it doesn't backfire at all, but the car builds boost too damn quick so I can't really do that yet. Thinking about it, it seems to be concentrated to areas under about 1750 RPM also. Plugs are gapped at .030 and are Autolite 104's, ignition system is in good order, ect. I'm thinking it's got to be the tune.

So I thought I'd ask here seeing as how there's some of you smart folk types......What could this be in the tune that's causing it. Any other thoughts?