Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Expalin SPEED DENSITY TUNING

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Expalin SPEED DENSITY TUNING

well i dont kno if the section im posting is right, but a MAF is somewhat a "bolt on" so im ask, whats the speed desity all about? any major benefits? reason im asking is due to having a 92mm fast and not wanting to pay for a100mm maf or 85 and not knowing that size and so on so im thinkng of sd tuning
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to be off-topic but it'd be cheaper to buy the MAF than it will be for an SD tune from most places. I know the SD deletes the MAF but I'm sorry I can't explain the rest becaust I don't know myself! lol I'm interested too.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

MAF = PCM calculates the cylinder fill airmass using MAF and RPM.

SD = PCM calculates the cylinder fill airmass using VE, MAP, IAT, and RPM.

VE is the table telling the PCM how much mass/volume the cylinder fill is at any RPM vs MAP.

When running with MAF, the PCM uses both MAF and VE at various times.

When running SD, the PCM obviously ignores MAF.

With your non-stock intake manifold, either way (MAF or SD) requires correcting both MAF and VE tables (the intake manifold change will alter airflow thru the MAF sensor, the MAF sensor was previously calibrated for it's immediate surroundings).

Either way you have to pay for a tune; SD eliminates the [cost of] the MAF sensor.

Eliminating the MAF sensor protects the PCM's airmass calculation from incorrect intake plumbing (bends too close to MAF) and from reversion effects.

Running SD is a fail-over mode and so it has side-effects, for example: spark timing adapt now defaults to low octane spark table (you lose the sliding between the HO and LO tables), and transmission pressure adapt defaults to fault mode (max pressure, no shift feel adapts), and other things not fully known.

Last edited by joecar; 11-02-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typos...
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Wow. Good post with good info man.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar

SD = PCM calculates the cylinder fill airmass using MAP, IAT, VE and RPM.

VE is the table telling the PCM how much mass/volume the cylinder fill is at any RPM vs MAP.

With your non-stock intake manifold, either way (MAF or SD) requires correcting both MAF and VE tables (the intake manifold change will alter airflow thru the MAF sensor, the MAF sensor was previously calibrated for it's immediate surroundings).

Either way you have to pay for a tune; SD eliminates the [cost of] the MAF sensor.

Eliminating the MAF sensor protects the PCM's airmass calculation from incorrect intake plumbing (bends too close to MAF) and from reversion effects.

Running SD is a fail-over mode and so it has side-effects, for example: spark timing adapt now defaults to low octane spark table (you lose the sliding between the HO and LO tables), and transmission pressure adapt defaults to fault mode (max pressure, no shift feel adapts), and other things not fully known.
yea wow thanks alot. which do you recomend? and if you do recomend a MAF whaich brand and size? i just want to do this right the first time
Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joecar

SD = PCM calculates the cylinder fill airmass using MAP, IAT, VE and RPM.

Great post. If you still dont get it OP, just go to the HPTuners.com forum. Enough info there to make your head explode.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Im not sure if this works the best, but I also have a 92mm fast intake/TB and Im still running my de-screened stock MAF for now. I havent had any issues so far
Old 11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baddbird99
Im not sure if this works the best, but I also have a 92mm fast intake/TB and Im still running my de-screened stock MAF for now. I havent had any issues so far
what size lid are you using? and are u usong couplers? if you dont mind could u pm me a pic of you set up so i can see if i wana base mine off yours are rediculous as that may sound lol.

also has ANYONE RAN THE TSP 100mm MAF? I am interested in it but has that had tuning issues? i havent seen much of anything about it
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Im not using the factory box, I have a volant CAI and SLP smoothe bellows, and Im usin hose clamps to hold it all together. I dont ahve any pics on my computer ironically enough but I can get some on here and send you one
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

LSxWS.6

Talk to Howard at Redline MotorSports - right by you...
He will be doing my SD tune.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
LSxWS.6

Talk to Howard at Redline MotorSports - right by you...
He will be doing my SD tune.

lol nope i dont deal with redline, if i could direct you to some 1 whos 20mins from redline in clifton park, Anthony Coppola, www.coppolamotorsports.com very good knowladgeable guy
Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baddbird99
Im not using the factory box, I have a volant CAI and SLP smoothe bellows, and Im usin hose clamps to hold it all together. I dont ahve any pics on my computer ironically enough but I can get some on here and send you one
great thanks alot
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Installing a larger MAF isn't really a bolt on, your tune should be looked at.
one thing I'd like to add is that with a MAF tune it still takes data from the map sensor and enters it into the calculation.

My advice do your research find a tuner your comfortable with and work with him to come up with what is best for your car.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike13
Installing a larger MAF isn't really a bolt on, your tune should be looked at.
one thing I'd like to add is that with a MAF tune it still takes data from the map sensor and enters it into the calculation.

My advice do your research find a tuner your comfortable with and work with him to come up with what is best for your car.
i only said bolt on because i didnt want to post this thread in the wrong section,(but i did) a MAF is def not engine internals . I contacted jason at TSP to she what he recommends seeing as the ms4 cam if from their. then with his info i will contact my tuner. i just wanted to kno what other people think/ are running and so on
Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Just about every car in Aus that gets tuned is tuned mafless or what you call speed density theirs no issues provided it is tuned properly without a maf in place at all.
All the things above mentioned spark tables, lines pressures etc can all be changed so i dont see the issue running mafless.
I assume the reason all you guys stay with the MAF is for emission reasons, but having said that the main reason its removed over here is because the standard MAF is a restriction if you had a 100mm MAF then it would make no difference also its not going to make any power difference unless your removing the stock MAF or a restrictive MAF, your also said to gain better throttle response.
So either get a big maf that flows alot of cfm's or just take it over and run mafless.

Quick Reply: Please Expalin SPEED DENSITY TUNING