PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would change from cold motor to hot motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What would change from cold motor to hot motor?

Is there anything that would cause my car to have an idling problem when the car is hot and not cold?

When my car is cold it idles from 950-1100 RPMs which i figure is something like a cold start choke making it idle high (tune calls for 950rpm on a cam only car) and then once i get to about 200* i notice that when i put the clutch in my car idles around 2K or up to 3K. IDK wtf problem is and ive replaced sensor after sensor and cant figure it out. Ive narroed it down to MAF, MAP or tune (ive fixed a few vacuum leaks since the tune, but this problem happened randomly one day)

The only DTC im getting that would be relevent would me a code for low manifold pressure, but ive gotten that since the cam was installed.

one of my friends thinkgs my MAF could be dead and the car is running itself of the MAP and doing a bad job of it. The car literally stared doing this randomly one day after i drove it in the rain. The car is also throwing slow switching codes for both banks front 02 sensors, but it has done this since i put the headers on 3

Last edited by SS4Luck; 11-12-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Scan/data log it from dead cold til it starts acting up. post the log and tun. Someone should see what's going on....
Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 AM
11 Second Club

i dont have any way to data log or pull a copy of the tune

i was jsut wondering if there was a sensor that would afffect idle that would do nothing with a cold motor and mess with me once its warm. It seems to be once the low fan turns out it happens. I did have it scanned at my local shop and there were 3 codes that made me scratch my head, i dont have the numbers but i remember what they were

There was one for low manifold pressure, and then 2 talking about fan relays i believe. I do have manual fan switches, could that cause an issue?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

sounds like a vacuum leak or a TB that isn't setup properly...