PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good tuning tool for a first time user?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good tuning tool for a first time user?

Which tuning software/tool is the best for a noob to get adjusted to? This question is kind of based on preference i guess, but I need to tune my LS1 and I want to do it myself. Which tuner did you use, and did you have trouble learning how to do it?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's done to the car currently?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

An LS6 cam, headers and exhaust, head work, new timing chain, minor bolt ons, etc.

Just some basic **** I guess.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

*lurk*

I've been wanting to get into tuning as well.

I've found a "Learn at home" set from HP Tuners. I gotta find the link. But I'd also like to hear what would be recommended here as well. This is going to be an uphill battle trying to get into this.........It has been so far. "Don't bother with it and just bring it to me to tune for you."

Can't find it right now, but this is as close as I could get.
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16606
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our software is geared at having the most user friendly GUI for the first time tuner. The tuning school is a reseller of ours and do have packages that will get you started in the right direction so are a good choice.

-Bill
Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not wanting to contribute to another which is better thread. i am solely going on my own experience. i chose hp tuners mpvi because of the support of the other users. but after using for a while and hanging out in forums like this. i realized you almost can't make a wrong decision other than not familiarizing yourself with the tool you chose. each software or hardware device has it's subtle differences but in the long haul it's up to you the user. main diffs i see with hp vs efi is the axes are swapped. maybe one appeals to the "row" mindset and the other to the "column" . just my 2
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They're all good... which is best depends on personality...

See the sticky for more info: read-me-best-ls1-tuning-software

Visit each software's respective home page/forum.

See if you can try out the software, this will show you which interface you like better.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

I have Efilive and tuned 1000s cars with it, easy to navigate and friendly user.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

New users seem to like the dumbed down HPT interface more.
But it depends on what you want to do. EFI has a much superior logging tool with the ability to manipulate data in maps and tables with any kind of formula you like.
Plus you can add your own .cax definitions to expand table support in tunes for example to add lean cruise into LS1 ECU's
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Went in on HPT with a friend. I spent damn near all summer learning it. Navigating the software isnt that hard, learning cause and effect for the first time is. The problem I found with the forums are tons of incomplete help. Most people took a lot of time to figure out what they know and arent willing to just freely give it away to a complete stranger.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
Went in on HPT with a friend. I spent damn near all summer learning it. Navigating the software isnt that hard, learning cause and effect for the first time is. The problem I found with the forums are tons of incomplete help. Most people took a lot of time to figure out what they know and arent willing to just freely give it away to a complete stranger.
That's a big difference I've found between HPT and EFI forums. Having owned both the HPT Forum may have many more members and posts but of those members and posts most are less experienced users with very basic questions and solutions. The EFI forum has far less members but the info is often more advanced but the basic stuff is there in spades too.. Its just its not repeated a thousand times.

As far as the hardware and software go. EFI LIVE is more expensive initially than the other but you do get more for what you pay. The upside with HPT is that you can tune Fords with it.. Even if it does suck compared to SCT buying one cable over two is an attractive prospect if you plan on tuning multiple brands.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry about easy. Worry about outgrowing it or not
having access to what you need. Because you won't be
a newb for that long if you care to learn, and the tool is
not the task - it just has to be up to it.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just getting started in tuning and I just ordered HPTuners and the beginner's learn at home course from The Tuning School. From what I've read, it's the way to go. It'll be here for me next week so I'll be sure and post up how the experience goes.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have HPTuners also, and learning quite slowly. I don't have the enough time/open space/wideband to tune my car. With that said, I'm wanting to learn everything I can through internet and plan to invest some guide/tutorial such as Tuning School down the road.

With little info that I grasped here and HPTuners messageboard, I've gathered that the English bloke that "tuned" my car sucks. My car surge and bucks almost every time on a stop and go traffic. Funny thing is he bragged about his EFILive is way better than my HPTuners yet his tune sucks *****.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
I have HPTuners also, and learning quite slowly. I don't have the enough time/open space/wideband to tune my car. With that said, I'm wanting to learn everything I can through internet and plan to invest some guide/tutorial such as Tuning School down the road.

With little info that I grasped here and HPTuners messageboard, I've gathered that the English bloke that "tuned" my car sucks. My car surge and bucks almost every time on a stop and go traffic. Funny thing is he bragged about his EFILive is way better than my HPTuners yet his tune sucks *****.
There is no magic wand that gets waved that can tune a car, in the end as you now know its up to the tuner doing the tuning

Knowing how to use the software you have and how to make it work for you is a good start, this is why I always preach learning the scanner before worrying about how to tune. Any monkey(obviously not directed at you) can read a guide & copy & paste in a few numbers, it takes time to learn how to make custom histograms that work for you to even make that possible.

Believe it or not there are alot of tunershops that don't know what a histogram is or how to set up one for their life but I see it every day and is the main reason I created as many demo's as I did.

Having a demo mode in the software is great(we now offer this BTW so all the EFI fan boy's can no longer beat that dead horse) but it doesn't teach you how to do anything...in this case our demo's are the next best thing

-Bill
Attached Thumbnails Good tuning tool for a first time user?-demomode.jpg  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Took me a while to figure out how to use the histrograms. Although it did take a long *** time to have a tune im satisfied with, I did enjoy learning it. I also have tremendous respect for those that have mastered this for multiple applications.

Next spring I plan to upgrade the OS to '02 and dyno tune my dry shot. Hopefully I wont forget everything over the winter heh
Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

The only thing I regret is not getting the HPT pro version initially.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667

Having a demo mode in the software is great(we now offer this BTW so all the EFI fan boy's can no longer beat that dead horse) but it doesn't teach you how to do anything...in this case our demo's are the next best thing

-Bill
About time. Got a link for it Bill as I can't find it on the website. Still has the 2 year old 2.22 version on the website and requiring a log in to access it.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A good write up for us Newbies is from "69lt1bird" can be downloaded from ls1tech.

I had one tune done and the dude had to tweak it at least 4 times. Then a dyno tune done on a larger engine. 2 tunes @ $500 each !

Bought a HP Tuners Pro with an AFX wideband and do it myself now. If it's not right, only myself to blame. Yet does not cost me anymore for my trail and error.

If you understand how efi functions, learning how to tune is not that hard.

Quick Reply: Good tuning tool for a first time user?