PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on which would be cheaper for me. EFI Live or HPTuners??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
efilive does not offer any real time tuning custom operating systems, you'd need to purchase the $1000 3rd party hardware/software license for that
We had real time tuning years ago using the stock OS. It was omitted when the far more powerful RoadRunner solution came out. Yes its more cost but it makes HPT RTT look stupid by comparison. The EFI LIVE guys have indicated they intend to reintroduce RTT using the stock controller in the V8 software in the future.

To the OP. I've had both HPT and EFI. I sold HPT as I found it far less capable in the software sense and far more so in a hardware sense. Only thing its good for is flexibility in doing Fords.. But it sux at that too compared to SCT.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

As usual you haven't been listening.

He's going to be tuning LS1 based fbodies, not trucks, not vans, not 4.3ltr S10's.

BTW can you tune all of those for $1500 with EFI? No you can't, so get on point rather than posting non factual information.

Sorry it was a typo I meant $2500, I will correct it. Can you tune all those with HPT for $2500?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club

efilive does not offer any real time tuning custom operating systems, you'd need to purchase the $1000 3rd party hardware/software license for that
You really can't compare the roadrunner and HPT real time tuning to each other fairly because they are not even close to the same caliber.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
Sorry it was a typo I meant $2500, I will correct it. Can you tune all those with HPT for $2500?
Can you tune all of them with efi for that price? Not exactly.

For a V2 + that stream you are talking $3300 but thats neither here nor there.

In any event for $3250 you get our MPVI pro interface and the below licenses

04-05 Cadillac CTS-V 5.7L
99-02 Chevrolet Camaro 5.7L
99-04 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L
99-06 Holden Commodore 5.7L
01-05 Holden Monaro 5.7L
99-02 Pontiac Firebird 5.7L
04 Pontiac GTO 5.7L
V8 SUV's
00-05 Buick Rainier 5.3L
00-05 Chevrolet Suburban 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L 8.1L
00-05 Chevrolet Tahoe 4.8L, 5.3L
00-05 Chevrolet Trailblazer 5.3L
00-05 GMC Envoy 5.3L
00-06 GMC Yukon & Denali 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L 8.1L
02-07 Hummer H2 6.0L
00-05 Isuzu Ascender 5.3L
V8 Trucks
02-06 Cadillac Escalade 5.3L, 6.0L
02-06 Chevrolet Avalanche 5.3L, 8.1L
03-09 Chevrolet Kodiak 8.1L
99-07 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L 8.1L
03-04 Chevrolet SSR 5.3L
99-07 GMC Sierra 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L 8.1L
03-09 GMC Topkick 8.1L
V8 Vans
01-07 Chevrolet Express 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L
01-07 GMC Savana 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L
Plus
03-04 Chevy SSR 5.3
P01 & P59 Tiltmasters
01-07 Workhorse 5.7, 8.1

Our software licenses V6's under a V6 group.

-Bill
Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You really can't compare the roadrunner and HPT real time tuning to each other fairly because they are not even close to the same caliber.
Where are you pulling this from? If you would READ what the OP wrote

as of now the only thing I can think of that would be better from efi live is that I could do all my friends tunes in real time on enhanced os without having to pay 200 dollars worth of licensing for each car
you would understand my post was simply explaining efi's custom operating systems do not offer real time tuning. Don't you think it would be nice if he knew what he was getting for his money no matter which brand he goes with?

Might I add EFI is not a sponsor here and that we are and each purchase indirectly supports this site.

-Bill
Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 AM
9 Second Club

Where are you pulling this from? If you would READ what the OP wrote

you would understand my post was simply explaining efi's custom operating systems do not offer real time tuning. Don't you think it would be nice if he knew what he was getting for his money no matter which brand he goes with?

Might I add EFI is not a sponsor here and that we are and each purchase indirectly supports this site.

-Bill
EFI has several re-sellers that ARE sponsors on here that sell EFI which supports this site also. If you would READ what a wrote I have YOUR product and am one of your customers and I also recommended HPT Pro or EFI it was his choice. HPT and EFI are both great products. End of story. I just dont agree with some of HPT marketing statements sometimes.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok cool thanks foff. it would be really nice to be able to tune the dodge's in my family.

so whats the verdict in my case of pro vs. standard? Is pro needed? What all differs and please put it in dummy language for right now cause I can't understand that thread on hptuners website that distinguishes between the two.

thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Pro adds inputs for things like a wideband which is highly recommended for accurate fuel tuning. It also adds standalone datalogging ie you don't need a laptop in the vehicle to datalog(scan) your vehicle.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

ah well seems like i will need pro for sure.

am I correct in saying that pro is initially 150 more than standard but the upgrade if you start with standard is more? I may have heard wrong

By the way. thank you so much to everyone for you input so far.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
ah well seems like i will need pro for sure.

am I correct in saying that pro is initially 150 more than standard but the upgrade if you start with standard is more? I may have heard wrong

By the way. thank you so much to everyone for you input so far.
correct, the upgrade cost if you purchased the std up front is nearly $300 so always best to purchase the pro up front.

-Bill
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

i have NO experience with anything but HPT right now, i bought the Pro version to start tuning on my SS and a few buddies' cars....basically the same situation you're in. i can say i'm very satisfied with the software so far, but like i said i have no experience whatsoever with other tuning tools so i don't know what to compare it to. You definately want the pro version and you definately want a good wideband. i have an Innovate LC-1 permanently mounted in the car, but also bought their LM-2 for when i tune other cars. It's pretty easy to wire up and program into HPT after you read all the threads/write-ups that are on here and on the HPT forum.

Not sure how much money you want to dump into this endeavor, but if you're wanting a VERY helpful book(s) to get you going i would HIGHLY recommend The Tuning School. Not the cheapest literature, but well worth it if you need a solid foundation to start from. I know SDPC sells it, i'm sure others do too but i haven't looked.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
Not sure how much money you want to dump into this endeavor, but if you're wanting a VERY helpful book(s) to get you going i would HIGHLY recommend The Tuning School. Not the cheapest literature, but well worth it if you need a solid foundation to start from. I know SDPC sells it, i'm sure others do too but i haven't looked.
That's one advantage of HPTuners. Good tuning books are based on HPTuners software and tables, have screenshoots of the HPTuners's VCM editor.

Of course, you can use those books for EfiLive easily, but for novices is very helpful to have HPtuners-focused tuning books available.

Once you learned the basics, you can use general knowledge for your tuning needs, but at the very neggining those books will give you a great help.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah thanks a lot guys. what is the LM-1 and LM-2 and whats the difference? Is the LM-1 a wideband o2 that needs to be actually mounted and the lm-2 is maybe one that you throw in the tailpipe?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:44 PM
9 Second Club

yeah thanks a lot guys. what is the LM-1 and LM-2 and whats the difference? Is the LM-1 a wideband o2 that needs to be actually mounted and the lm-2 is maybe one that you throw in the tailpipe?
The LM2 is the newer version of the LM1. It has a lot more functions and options than a LM1 but you can tune with either one. Both are portable widebands that you can plug into your cig lighter. Neither one comes with the a piece to put in the tail pipe, you have to buy that extra for about $50-$75. I have the tailpipe adapter but I don't use it very much, I prefer to use a bung in the exhaust or pull out an O2 out of the header, you will get better readings.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

what does it have to do with the cig lighter? does it use it for power since youre not using the stock exhaust wiring?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what does it have to do with the cig lighter? does it use it for power since youre not using the stock exhaust wiring?
All wideband need separate 12V supply. Most have regular wires because they are for permanent install.

Others like LM-2 have a cig lighter plug because they are portable. Thats a nice thing when you tune many cars.

I have a LM-2 and can set it up to be ready to tune with HPTuners in under 15 min.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep in mind the massive hardware differences too. For a bit more money you do get a far more flexible tool with EFI LIVE.

For example yes you can data log without a laptop using either tuning solution. But only one can let you see that data without the need to lug a laptop around everywhere. Plus there is the memory capacity. HPT has on board memory only which is a dozen or so MB (can't remember exactly). With EFI LIVE you can use an SD card and we all know how big you can get them these days. Plus there is the ability to store all your tunes on your EFI LIVE V2. Have an E85 tune and a Petrol tune and want to switch between. No problem, just flash it in with the V2 without any need to ever have a laptop around. Want to pull the tune from your mates car but don't have your laptop with you. No drama, pull it with the V2 and look it over later.
Have a buddy throw a check engine light and again don't have your laptop handy. Use the V2 to see what codes have throw right there.

All these things I think are massive advantages, if you personally think they are a waste of time then by all means give EFI LIVE a miss.

Here is a shot of one of the V2's live logging screens.

You can even full screen the Wideband DIGITAL data and therefore remove the need to purchase a gauge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDSMmRMtTM
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're interested to know, these are the widebands for which EFILive FlashScan V2 supports serial comms AFR (see attached).

In Macca's pic of the LCD, WO2AFR1 is the wideband AFR obtained via serial comms (the cable on top of the V2 carries RS-232 data from the wideband's serial port).
Attached Thumbnails Confused on which would be cheaper for me. EFI Live or HPTuners??-wideband-serial-comms.jpg  

Last edited by joecar; 12-16-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

The LM2 is the newer version of the LM1. It has a lot more functions and options than a LM1 but you can tune with either one. Both are portable widebands that you can plug into your cig lighter. Neither one comes with the a piece to put in the tail pipe, you have to buy that extra for about $50-$75. I have the tailpipe adapter but I don't use it very much, I prefer to use a bung in the exhaust or pull out an O2 out of the header, you will get better readings.
i've been meaning to ask this question....how do you do that without screwing up the ECM? do you turn off the O2 sensor that you unplugged? will it not affect how the vehicle runs while you have it off/unplugged?

i only became curious when i was trying to decide what to do when i tune other cars. i have an extra bung welded in MY exhaust, but was wondering what to do for other cars, like ones that have mufflers so close to the tips that you can't get a wideband in there far enough for good readings, like my better half's '08 impala SS. i want to tune her car after i install the exhaust/cold air for her this christmas....
Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok thats cool. I really do like the v2 thing with efi live! That is very sick and very convenient, however there are still a few things pulling towards hptuners here they are. If you have an argument for efi live against these points please state it.

with hptuners I get
cheaper initial cost
some extra credits I can instantly use to get almost all my initial investment back
ford capability(I have mustang friends I will tune for)
they have dodge support coming soon and I will be able to tune my dad's challenger for him
I already have a guy near me that PM'd me offering to show me his hptuners and show me a few things.

Quick Reply: Confused on which would be cheaper for me. EFI Live or HPTuners??