PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on which would be cheaper for me. EFI Live or HPTuners??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

Do you know how to tune already? It has a steep learning curve, please don't think your going to just buy EFI or HPT and jump out and there and start making money. Tuning GM, Ford, & Dodge are all differnt and its not easy just to jump from one to another.
EFI & HPT both are racing to have dodge support, I have seen screen shots of beta EFI Dodge and I think HPT also has posted some also but am not 100% sure. Also even though HPT does support Ford I dont think they have the support like they do with GM IMO.
You can download EFI for free and try it for free! Just remember price isnt everything.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I will give the free trial a look for sure.

sadly no I do not already know how to tune. I know it will be a while before i am ready to tune other peoples(and my own) cars. Thing is the credits will not expire so I will be able to make that money once I do learn. I am going to have a local guy teach me how to tune, alone with doing the online hptuners guides and any online learning tools I can get my hands on. I will not be rushing into it. I will just learn what I can, and use my car for experimenting.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28

sadly no I do not already know how to tune. I know it will be a while before i am ready to tune other peoples(and my own) cars. Thing is the credits will not expire so I will be able to make that money once I do learn. I am going to have a local guy teach me how to tune, alone with doing the online hptuners guides and any online learning tools I can get my hands on. I will not be rushing into it. I will just learn what I can, and use my car for experimenting.
Email me at bill at hptuners.com and I'll email you our demo software
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

I've no experiance in the latest versions of EFI. I use the HP Tuners for my car. I log my runs and check my data pretty much after every run on my laptop. I'm using the wideband option and the 3bar custom OS. I'm pretty impressed with it's capabilities and my results. For me I'm tuning 3 vehicles but the one that matters to me is the Twin Turbo one. Pro is the only way to go for me.

I'm not sure who out there is running EFI with 1000+ HP (I'm sure there's a bunch) but they should definitely chime in to make sure they take care of business. For me I had some doubt about doing this with the stock PCM but HP Tuners made me a believer.

Cost wise? Well seeing as I didn't spend money on an aftermarket PCM I think the money was well spent.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by minytrker
Also even though HPT does support Ford I dont think they have the support like they do with GM IMO.
You can download EFI for free and try it for free! Just remember price isnt everything.
We support at least 85 Ford operating systems, in comparison there are a total of 90 or so 99-2011 LS1 & E38 operating systems that we support which would cover pretty much every Silverado, Sierra, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Firebird, Camaro, Corvette, S-10, Blazer, Escalade, SSR, GTO, & CTS made over those years.

Also there are alot of additional ford applications we support such as navigators, v6 mustangs, etc that we just don't list on our supported list because we do them on a case by case basis since they are a much smaller market.

Ford & GM just happen to do things differently...doesn't mean we don't offer as much coverage just means they do things differently.

-Bill
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

Its sounds like you made your mind up on HPT, it will definatly get the job done. If you go with HPT spend the little extra and get HPT Pro or you will regret it later on. You will also need a good wideband and your ready to start having fun learning.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

sweet. Like I said I will still check out the EFI Live demo and if I like it more thats what I will get but as of now HPT just seems to fit my situation a little better. Thanks for all the advice everyone
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet. Like I said I will still check out the EFI Live demo and if I like it more thats what I will get but as of now HPT just seems to fit my situation a little better. Thanks for all the advice everyone
HPT offering Ford support is very attractive I admit. I got HPT for that very reason but have since of loaded it as the unlimited licences that I bought it with Holden LS1 02-05 was redundant for me as I have Unlimited on LS1's with EFI LIVE so I passed it off to a mate. I was considering buying it again with Ford Credits included (keep in mind you can't use the included credits for other platforms as they are different, you have to buy specific car make credits). If you browse the HPT Forum you will see alot of guys have issues with tuning Fords. Not all of course but enough. Alot of the shops here are moving to SCT now.

As far as the included credits go. You get 8 which would be a maximum of 4 cars or 2 if you use an enhanced OS which you will. With EFI LIVE you get 2 licences. Enhanced OS' are free for everything, so once its licenced that's it forever.

Last edited by macca_779; 12-17-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by macca_779
HPT offering Ford support is very attractive I admit. I got HPT for that very reason but have since of loaded it as the unlimited licences that I bought it with Holden LS1 02-05 was redundant for me as I have Unlimited on LS1's with EFI LIVE so I passed it off to a mate. I was considering buying it again with Ford Credits included (keep in mind you can't use the included credits for other platforms as they are different, you have to buy specific car make credits). If you browse the HPT Forum you will see alot of guys have issues with tuning Fords. Not all of course but enough. Alot of the shops here are moving to SCT now.

We've also had a few go over the 1000hp barrier with Mustangs so we must be doing something right

You are correct though Ford did some goofy things especially with the earlier 02-04 Australian pcm's ie no vin numbers,etc. There have been a couple people that had flashing issues but thus far they've all turned out to be issues with their laptop's(our head engineer flew 1/2 way across the continent to find this out lol). SCT uses a handheld flasher so any issues would be related to the flasher itself, our product is a passthrough so the computer can be a variable if you run into issues.

-Bill
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
I've no experiance in the latest versions of EFI. I use the HP Tuners for my car. I log my runs and check my data pretty much after every run on my laptop. I'm using the wideband option and the 3bar custom OS. I'm pretty impressed with it's capabilities and my results. For me I'm tuning 3 vehicles but the one that matters to me is the Twin Turbo one. Pro is the only way to go for me.

I'm not sure who out there is running EFI with 1000+ HP (I'm sure there's a bunch) but they should definitely chime in to make sure they take care of business. For me I had some doubt about doing this with the stock PCM but HP Tuners made me a believer.

Cost wise? Well seeing as I didn't spend money on an aftermarket PCM I think the money was well spent.
Dont know if Im running 1000+ hp, as it only makes 790s on my dyno but mine makes enough power to go 154 mph so far. Im running the HPTuner 3 bar OS also like you, and it WOULD be nice to log and read data - but after fixing an old interface, purchasing new interface and still dont have the ability to reliably log data with the hardware Im about at wits end. Taking a crap shoot at your tune with ~1000 hp is getting to be

Quick Reply: Confused on which would be cheaper for me. EFI Live or HPTuners??