Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to tune my swap, but no OBDII port how do I go about it

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need to tune my swap, but no OBDII port how do I go about it

Well I am nearing the point in my swap where I am going to need to retune and delete certain things in the stock ECU, however I only have the engine harness and not the body harness so there is no OBD port to plug into.

Do the EFI Live and HP tuners both need to plug into the OBD for tuning (I would imagine so how else would it communicate)?

If so I am sure I could get a body harness and make it work if thats the only option...

In my previous motor I was running a Haltech PS 1000 Standalone ECU and I loved it, however that was only because the Toyota ECU is read only and files cannot be altered.

However the Chevy ECU is a read/write which I love except thats its not realtime tuning that I am aware of..

Also I have the stock dash cluster from the 2001 Camaro donor vehicle and also have the plug for it (with about 2 inches of wire), is there a body module that allows this to work or can it be wired directly, I just dont know if there is another computer that sorts things out for the cluster...I would love to mount the Camaro cluster in my dash so the speedo and gauges will work instead of trying to get the Toyota cluster to work.

Thanks for the help guys, just getting really close to fire up, got my Headers built yesterday!! Sooo close I can barely wait!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went and pulled an OBDII port from a car in the junkyard, and wired it into the corresponding pins on the PCM. the only other way you could do it was to find a car with the same PCM, swap PCM's, flash it, and put the flashed one back in the car with no OBDII port.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

You can buy a new ODBII plug with pigtails for around $20 and wire it in. Its only 6 wires that need to be hooked up.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
You can buy a new ODBII plug with pigtails for around $20 and wire it in. Its only 6 wires that need to be hooked up.
+1 good looking out!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy enough problem solved.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also you can tune real time if you get a "Roadrunner PCM" and use EFILive.

Quick Reply: Need to tune my swap, but no OBDII port how do I go about it