PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start? Trying to learn EFI.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to start? Trying to learn EFI.

Hi, I am fairly new and am about to do a LSx conversion into a 70 Chevelle. I have read the build threads located in Conversions, but I am totaly clueless on how to get started. First of my engine came from a wrecked 1998 Camaro SS. I have the engine, which is mostly complete except for some fastners, I have the ECM which carries a service number of 16238212. I have a wire harness, the blue plug connector will plug into the ECM, but it also has a clear connector that plugs into the "RED" ECM connector. It has a different tab, and wont plug into it.

My plans are to run a 700R4 which I have ready, and I would like to deleate the EGR from the ECM. But before I do anything like that, I must figure out what is necessory for the engine to start and run. I get totaly lost looking at the harness. All I want is (Bare Bones)! No EGR, NO AC, NO etc... Would I be better off just buying the Edelbrock Performer RPM kit with ignition box and just carb the thing? I would rather learn how to do this. I mean, programming can come later in the learning curve, right now I just need someone to push me in the right dirrection on what wires need to go where. Is there a book, DVD? I hate asking stupid questions, and I feel that this makes me look really DUMB Anyway, thanks in advance for ANY help on where to get started.

Shawn
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you'll want a painless harness to start with, at least on the car side of things. Im not certain, but the stock harness wont work with the 700R4 unless you cut and splice a lot. You'll save yourself a ton of headache and time with a painless harness built to your car/motor/tranny combo.

Great place to get started
http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuninghelpfiles.php
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot J. I did have a change in trans. I will be running my Muncie 4 speed. It's built, ready to go, and setting right here. I have ordered the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate combo already. So, now is just installing and fitting the engine and trans, and getting started on the EFI.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jenson
Sounds like you'll want a painless harness to start with, at least on the car side of things. Im not certain, but the stock harness wont work with the 700R4 unless you cut and splice a lot. You'll save yourself a ton of headache and time with a painless harness built to your car/motor/tranny combo.

Great place to get started
http://ls1tuningguide.com/tuninghelpfiles.php
I sent an email to a guy here in Oklahoma about a custom harness and PCM that I found in the link you gave me. Have you had any dealings with him? It looks like a good deal and to be right here in Ok, is a plus...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

His name on here is 69LT1Bird, I believe. The link to the page is in his sig so I assume its his website. Seems like a really nice guy but I dont know him.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done a few conversions, and is not difficult.
There is a lot of work involved, you'll need to do a few modification but is not that hard.

If you don't want to go the hard way, find an engine with matching harness and PCM. Otherwise you'll need to modify the harness.
With a matching set of engine, harness and PCM you only use what you need and discard what you don't

Having the wiring diagrams is a must, so buy the Hayness repair manual

The muncie will bolt to the LS1 no problem