PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoTap won't connect, Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoTap won't connect, Please Help!!

I just received the autotap cables I bought off of e-bay and tried them out today. I downloaded the newest version of Atap off the website and tried to connect with no luck. It said No atap hardware found on Com 1, 2 and Com 3-16 don't exist. Anyone else ever run into this? It is really frustrating me and I think I may have just wasted my money. Is there a way to test the cables to see if they are working without sending them to B&B? Is there a pin/s on the vechicle side cable I can probe to see if there is any current in it/them? I just want to know where the problem is (Cable or Adapter) and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your cables have the autotap box right.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:28 AM
Restricted User

At the OBDII connector on your vehicle, you need 12V on pin 16, signal ground on pin 5 and chassis ground on pin 4. J1850 VPW data is on pin 2, you won't be able to easily verify the data on pin 2 unless you have a 'scope.

Looking at the connector as it sits in the vehicle, pin 1 is top left, pin 8 is top right, pin 9 is bottom left and pin 16 is bottom right.

If you download EFILive, it will try and connect using your AutoTap cable. IF it fails, it will generate an error report - save it (on the [Report] tab page and send it to (support@EFILive.com) and from that, I should be able to tell you where the problem is.
Add the link to this thread to the email when you send it so I know what is is for.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-15-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

yah the box with your serial # on the side, hope you didnt get jipped on it. I did once.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Make sure your lighter fuse is not blown. If it's blown you won't be able to connect to the PCM.

Also make sure the laptop knows which port to use.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I will download and try efilive and send the error report to you. There is no serial number on the side of the box. It just says AT1 on the top with some other info, such as B&B address and is says vehicle and computer where the two cables go in. There is no serial number on the box anyhwere. On the back it has the sticker with the FCC info. Thanks for the help, I reall appreciate it. How do I make sure the laptop knows what port to use. I thought it should do that automatically. Oh, well I will send the error report and see if yo can come up with a solution.
Thanks
Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like a communication error.

Do the efilive program. It will function but not log for more than 5 seconds without the serial # for the software.

The Software iirc uploads the serial to the box iirc.

Efilive will give you the serial # off the cable.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nbmls1ta
Well, I will download and try efilive and send the error report to you. There is no serial number on the side of the box. It just says AT1 on the top with some other info, such as B&B address and is says vehicle and computer where the two cables go in. There is no serial number on the box anyhwere. On the back it has the sticker with the FCC info. Thanks for the help, I reall appreciate it. How do I make sure the laptop knows what port to use. I thought it should do that automatically. Oh, well I will send the error report and see if yo can come up with a solution.
Thanks
Matt
The site won't let me download efilive. It says the page can't be found. I guess I will try it later and see what happens. Is there a problem with the site? It won't let me get any downloads.
Thanks
Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by nbmls1ta
Well, I will download and try efilive and send the error report to you. <snip> How do I make sure the laptop knows what port to use. I thought it should do that automatically.Matt
Download the V6.3 (beta) version, it has a bug fixed where EFILive would sometimes "detect" a modem as the AT1 V1.x cable. Once EFILive "decided" that the modem was the AT1 cable it would try and connect (obviously unsuccessfully) to the vehicle using the modem.

Also check the fuse like I1ULUZ says.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I just tried again. The lighter is working and came up with same error and I just kept hitting retry over and over and then my computer started making a beeping noise, while it was trying to connect. Then it said connected at the bottom and my computer continued making beeping/buzzing noises, but I could not add any gauges, graphs etc. When I chose a category to graph, ie..Emissions, Perfromance, All etc. there were no items to pick from in the box to the right. I don't think it was "really" connected. It never asked for a registration or serial number and never said anything about scanning for the parameters/vin etc. There was no config file created and when I went to the help tab and under registration it said No Serial and No Key. The person that shipped it to me didn't send any of the registration or serial code. Do you guys think it was just a false connect? It wouldn't let me do anything, just said connected at the bottom.
Oh, well. I still can't get any downloads from Autotap site for some reason, is there another site I can try?
Thanks for all the help
Matt

Last edited by nbmls1ta; 02-15-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EFIliveV5
Download the V6.3 (beta) version, it has a bug fixed where EFILive would sometimes "detect" a modem as the AT1 V1.x cable. Once EFILive "decided" that the modem was the AT1 cable it would try and connect (obviously unsuccessfully) to the vehicle using the modem.

Also check the fuse like I1ULUZ says.

Regards
Paul
Sorry for the unending questions but..Where can I download the beta version? On the site the only download for efilive i see is v 6.2. Also do the serial port settings affect the connection in any way. The port setting was at Baud rate 9200, flow control was none etc. Do I need to set these to a specific value? Thanks again
Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

no i just selected the com1 port and it worked. efilive v6.3 rocks! very smart.

I've got a 2.0 atap cable don't know if that makes any difference but its plug n play. I use an old dell p3-1ghz laptop with one serial port, modem, didn't have any problems at all.

IIRC the efilive 6.3 connected at 115200 baud.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Restricted User

IF you are just testing the connection with EFILive, then EFILive will set all the necessary com port settings - you don't need to change them yourself.

Download the beta version V6.3 beta version here:
http://www.efilive.com/downloads
it is the very first listed download on the page.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-15-2004, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EFIliveV5
IF you are just testing the connection with EFILive, then EFILive will set all the necessary com port settings - you don't need to change them yourself.

Download the beta version V6.3 beta version here:
http://www.efilive.com/downloads
it is the very first listed download on the page.

Regards
Paul
Ok, that download worked I am going to go try it out and send you the error report. I hope it is something that can easily be fixed and I didn't just get ripped off. I guess we will find out soon.
Thanks
Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

How do I find out what version of hardware I have? Version 1 or 2? Paul, I sent you an e-mail with what you requested. I really hope you can figure out the problem from the report. Thanks again.
Matt

Quick Reply: AutoTap won't connect, Please Help!!