Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to reset the security light on a 02 z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reset the security light on a 02 z28

Well I cant believe i did this. i have a 2002 z28 and i also have a 94 z28. The 02 is my DD. when i went to start my 2002 today, i accidentally put the 94's key in the ignition but i did not try to turn over the motor. I realized what I did and pulled out the 94's key and put in the correct key. Now the security light came on and the car won’t even try to start. I can turn the key on and all the light comes on but it won’t start. I tried unhooking the battery and that did not help. I am just wondering how reset the alarm system. or any other answers on what to do.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Is it a factory or aftermarket system. I know I have an aftermarket system and they always put a button under the dash or somewhere. Just put the key in and turn it to the run position and hit the button and it will reset. If its the factory system I believe you can put the key in and turn it on and leave it for like 3 or 10 minutes. Not sure which lol and it will read the resistor and reset. Worth Trying I guess. Sorry Im not more help. Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might try to put the correct key in and leave it in for about 10 minutes in the on posistion.. seen work a few times
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Its a factory system. and thanks both of you. i will try putting the correct key in and just leave it in for a while. i still cant believe i did such a stupid mistake.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

I went to local Chevy dealership yesterday because my security light stays on all the time. About 6 months ago my car decided it did not like the chip in the ignition key, or lost the ability to read it, and my car went into anti-theft lock up as you describe. Shuts off fuel to injectors, etc. I kept dicking with it for several hours and it finally started. I bought new key programmed for my car (it just has to have the right one of a dozen or so resistors GM uses) and now both the old and new keys work and the security light always stays on. The dealership hooked up their controller and they could not find any menus that would allow them to clear the light and said that with the light on I technically should not be able to start the car. I believe it is possible the BCM has developed a problem and it would be very expensive to buy a new one. Anyway, the technician told me if you hook a battery charger to the car on low charge rate and leave the key on all night (making sure all interior lights are off, such as dome light and instrument panel) that the BCM will go through the learn process and this might fix the problem. It definitely sounds like it might cure your problem since it is likely your ignition key reader is still fine and it just thinks someone was trying to steal your car. Technician said the anti-theft lock should clear itself by waiting about 30 minutes and then trying the correct key in your case, so I am surprized that this did not clear up on its own.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Thank again to everyone. I ended up putting the key in and turning it on. It set for 10 minutes and that worked. It fired right up and I haven’t had any more problems out of it.

Quick Reply: How to reset the security light on a 02 z28