Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with L92(LS3) into a 98 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help with L92(LS3) into a 98 Camaro

Hey guys, looking for all the help I can get!

As some of you may have seen, I am building a 1995 z28 drag car with a carbureted L92
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...rip-build.html
.....BUT.....as of today, I am the proud owner of a 1998 rolling chassis that I want to swap my spare L92 long-block into as a fun fuel injected family car/ daily driver.

I want to swap the motor into this little fella....

The car was originally a LS1/4l60 combo.
With the purchase I received the complete rolling chassis....AND the Camaro harness, but no PCM...

I have done a little research, but I need help bad. I am VERY naive when it comes to injection, and I really dont know where to start.

FAST 90mm 4 bolt cable throttle body
Stock 1998 Wiring Harness from LS1
Mild TH350 Transmission

...With the above information in mind, what other items am I going to need to make the car functional?

Obviously, I need to obtain:
PCM (but which one?)
Injector Adapters (if my research is correct?)
Lingenfelter Reluctor Convertor Box

....and what else?

Through programming is it possible for me to delete all the electronic transmission functions so I can run the th350 without setting any codes?

I am sorry if these questions are super newbie stuff....but when it comes to lsx and fuel injection, I certainly am a newb.

I am hoping you guys can help me sort out the electrical aspect of this swap!

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get an 99+ computer 01 and 02 had the best software but 99 and 00 can be flashed with 01 and 02 software. That will also require getting a 99+ wiring engine wiring harness, or re-pining your 98 harness. There is very little support for the 98 computer it is the red headed step child of ECM's.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, do your homework on the Lingenfelter converter box, I would never run one, to many people have had problems with them.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I would get an 99+ computer 01 and 02 had the best software but 99 and 00 can be flashed with 01 and 02 software. That will also require getting a 99+ wiring engine wiring harness, or re-pining your 98 harness. There is very little support for the 98 computer it is the red headed step child of ECM's.
Ok...here comes my stupid question...

What about the 98 pcm is so different? I couldn't use something like hp tuners to adjust and modify?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfurches
Ok...here comes my stupid question...

What about the 98 pcm is so different? I couldn't use something like hp tuners to adjust and modify?
I am looking to do the same swap, and I'm wondering the same thing!!

Wouldn't it be possible to just basically flash the 98 PCM with an LS3 tune??

That way you could use a '98 wiring harness, '98 sensors, and a '98 PCM.

Last edited by Wesmanw02; 03-12-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

...Ok...So I just did some quick reading, and correct me if im wrong...but the main advantage to the 99+ pcm is the real time tuning, as well as the 2-3 bar map correct? What other advantages would there be?

Please keep in mind, my swap is ONLY going to be a daily driver with a cam swap and that's it. This car will not be getting insanely modded, so I don't really see the benefit to switch over to a later pcm (never-mind swapping 152 of the 160 pins, tracking down a new fuel sender and a new gauge cluster!).

Essentially...the car is getting tuned once, and then its getting enjoyed. I don't plan on making modifications that will necessitate a retune (at least I hope)
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference is small. I have an ls3 with a 98 PCM and its been running just fine.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ps to change PCM to 99+ there is no cluster changing or fuel sender changing. You can change the tune using efi live and have it run fine. You still have to repin the harness though
Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by t/a98
The difference is small. I have an ls3 with a 98 PCM and its been running just fine.
Please elaborate.

If you don't want to post all your secrets, please PM me lol.

Am I on the right track? What components am I missing?
What did you do for a baseline tune?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t/a98
Please elaborate
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vengeance did my tune. I'm about to get efi live in a few weeks but I have alot of mods it povobly won't help. Let me think. You need to relocate your knock sensors to the side, you can get the wire harness through Texas speed. You map sensor will be in front, instead of rear. I used my existing harnes by un taping I and pulling it put closer to the computer so it would reach (I.e didn't cut any wires) also the crank position sensor is on front, so you will need that extension harness. You also need to adress crank position sensor and cam sensor. on ls3 crank sensor is 48 tooth or something and your old motor has 24 teeth. Either replace the reluctor wheel and the big gear on your crankshaft to the 98 style and change your crank sensor to the old style, or you can keep all the ls3 parts and do a lingenfelter conversion box. I've heard good and bad things about the box. I personally used new 98 style parts. The rest should be exactly the same as long as youve already deleted Vvt and afm. I didn't have to but if you have those delete those as well

Vvt is noted by the bulge in your timing chain cover. To do that you need a standard front cover, new timing chain gear. Afm will be the lumpy valley cover. If you have that you will need to replace the valley cover with a standard style, and replace your lifters as half of them only work in afm applications.

I may have missed some small things, shouldn't be anything major though.

Ps you can probably find some tuning help on efi lives forum or hp tuners forum. I havent started tuning yet but the engine runs the same way as an ls1. Now your just making more power so mess With fueling and timing to start
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

I have some this 98 to 2002 swap so many times now I can do it in my sleep.
The biggest pain in the *** is labeling all the pcm wires, extending them and repining them. Then once you get a prepped 2002 pcm with the fuel segment swap done. (If you have a 2002 fbody pcm and you have hptuners support can swap the segments for you) plug it in, tune it for your setup and enjoy.
The 2002 0411 pcm is sooo much better than the 98 is so many ways. IMO it’s a worthwhile upgrade. My trans shifts better, can command much better WOT fueling. More tuning resolution, Much better idle control with a cam.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Lingenfelter 58x to 24x conversion module

We have hundreds of the 58x to 24x conversion modules (TRG-001 and the newer TRG-002) in use in vehicles from daily drivers to dedicated race cars. Some in vehicles since the product was first released three years ago. When you have that many of something in the field, you sometimes have problems. Although many of the problems have been installation related (connecting to the wrong wires/extending and splicing wires/bad grounds etc) we have had some that were manufacturing or design related problems. When that has been the case we have replaced the units at no charge to the customer. We stand behind the TRG product with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. Not many aftermarket electronics products offer anything close to that length of warranty.

If you are aware of anybody with problems related to the TRG product, we would like to hear about it.

Regards,

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
Also, do your homework on the Lingenfelter converter box, I would never run one, to many people have had problems with them.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea like i said, heard good and bad things about the conversion box. I bought one myself when it was first released, if I recal I got one from the first run or so. I had to return mine because my crank was damaged by the seller so I did all 98 reluctor and cam gear.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again though, alot cheaper than converting the whole motor over. If I'm not mistaken it keeps you from having to buy some extension harnesses, saving you even more.

Quick Reply: Help with L92(LS3) into a 98 Camaro