Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad PCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Bad PCM

My car is currently at an Auto Electrical Shop. I talked to the tech today and he told me that my car's PCM might have gone bad but was going to run more tests just to be sure. I was looking through some posts and I read that the PCM is under an 8 year/80,000 mile warranty. My question is, if my PCM does turn out to be bad who would I contact about replacing the PCM? My car is a 1998 Z28 and has 52,000 miles.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

No offense to any auto elecs on here, but many will always blame the computer first. How has he come to the conclusion the PCM is bad?, what is the car doing??. PCM's are usually an expensive non refundable gamble, just checkout the Ebay auctions for 'new' PCM's purchased hoping to solve problems.
I don't know Chevy's warranty policy but I would be very surpised if the PCM had a special case 8 year warranty.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Well here is my previous post
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=Rebuilt+Motor

The Auto Tech checked all the grounds and fuses. Made sure everything was connected right and came to the conclusion that it might be a bad PCM.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

O.K, ask yourself this question -
1 - Was the car (and PCM) running O.K before the motor was modified?.

If yes then you need to ask yourself what might have happened in all the fiddling.
These ones are hard to track down, but I would be more inclined to spend some time wiggling, pulling on the engine harness whilst the car is running to see if you can get the fault to occur, it might be a loose GND, it maybe a wire has been pinched or pulled somewhere that is intermittantly loosing continuity.

I'm not suggesting that is cannot be the PCM, but maybe try to save yourself a few $$ and spend sometime trying to track down what might be a 'simple' wiring issue.

Good Luck.