PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped Column. Now No Start.Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped Column. Now No Start.Help!!

Hello, Need help.
94 Trans Am just replaced column. Finished up. Hooked up battery. Went to turn over and it wont crank. Security Light comes on and stays on for a while but nothing. Can I assume it is something with the chip in the key?? The column came with a key. I never noticed a security light before I did this job so I dont know whats up ewith that. Maybe somebody can explain me how to test the resistance of the key and make sure it matches the one on column.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does your new key match the resistance of the old key?

If so disconnect the column harness and measure the resistance across the two small wires(white) and make sure it is the same or within 10 ohms of the key pellet. If not you probably have a break in the wire or problem in the switch.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

I just checked the resistance of the old key versus the new key and they are different. If I splice a resistor on the column to match the new pellet resistance will that fool the VATS that everything is cool.....DYNO THANks a million for the response
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Launching!

you could also pop the resistor out the old key and pop it in the new key then just smash the plastic with some needle nose pliers ,if you want to retain your vats and dont want to spend money for a new key
Old 04-03-2011, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 217 Likes on 167 Posts

That is one way to do it.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Heres where I'm getting confused. Does the key pellet need to match the resistance of the lock cylinder or does it need to match the resistance stored in the VATS..because if the code is in the vats and not in the cylinder I could pop out the pellet, but if the resistance is in the cylinder that wont work.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

The lock cylinder has nothing to do with the resistance. Just cut a key with the same value as the old key, switch the pellets, or put the resistor across the wires to bypass it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Ok Guys, thanks alot. I jut swapped the pellets and I'm hooked up..The only thing now is the new column has cruise control switch lever on it and old one didnt. Hahahahh at least it runs now I can do that another day.
Thanks again