Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to communicate with OBD

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Unable to communicate with OBD

I just failed my emissions test for this reason. I've checked all the fuses and none are blown. Any other ideas on what could be wrong?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if you're 100% sure that all of the fuses are ok then I would check the OBD itself and see if it is getting power and what not, maybe something is wrong with the wiring.
The only other thing I can think of is that the fuse is completely missing? unless the 12v power port works, then it most likely is a wiring issue.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

usually a cig. lighter fuse is what powers the obd port...

but yeah, as was mentioned above, if you know for sure that they're all in and ok, then I'd check for a wiring issue, broken/bent wire, etc...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cig lighter definitely works and fuses are good. Let me add a little more info that I just found out. I have a check engine light on that is code PO704 (clutch switch circuit failure, vehicle went from 0-24mph and back to 0 with no clutch switch change). I just put in a Tick MC and the pedal travel was not long enough to actuate the switch while fully released.

Autozone was able to read this code before I went in for testing, I didn't think it was a big deal since it's not emissions related. So I went back to Autozone today to see if they had a problem connecting to the OBD. No problem and they came back with the same code. I disconnected the battery to clear the code and adjusted the pedal and switch so it now functions properly.

Does anyone know if this code would cause the issue I had at the emissions testing station?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

codes should not have anything to do with connectivity issues. Personally I would trust a smog guys work over an autozone employee but if you can really see that it is connecting and reading codes than the issue is either youre smog guy or his equipment. I would take a scanner with you to show him or maybe even try another scanner too if you can get youre hands on one to show him it is connecting. I belive the power pin on the dlc connector would be pin 16 if you want to verify theres power going to it.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98trans-am
codes should not have anything to do with connectivity issues. Personally I would trust a smog guys work over an autozone employee but if you can really see that it is connecting and reading codes than the issue is either youre smog guy or his equipment. I would take a scanner with you to show him or maybe even try another scanner too if you can get youre hands on one to show him it is connecting. I belive the power pin on the dlc connector would be pin 16 if you want to verify theres power going to it.
I'm not that great with the whole tuning/diagnostic side of things, so this may be a stupid question. But is the Autozone guy being able to read a code the same type of connecting that would be required for an emissions test to be done? ie, is it possible to pull a code but not be able to connect for emissions purposes?

I watched the guy hook up the scanner and pull the code, but I'll still verify there is power going to it.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

it could be the inspection machine if autozone can connect to it
Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike.d
it could be the inspection machine if autozone can connect to it
This is what I was thinking too. Autozone was able to connect both before and after I did the emissions test. I was beyond shocked when they said I failed and then gave me the reason.

I am only allowed 2 more attempts at passing before I'm required to present repair receipts and am also subject to a visual inspection...which I will for sure fail. I don't think anything is wrong wtih my car but I'm really nervous about heading back to get re-tested without more concrete evidence.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Launching!

any updates?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01formula6

I am only allowed 2 more attempts at passing before I'm required to present repair receipts and am also subject to a visual inspection...which I will for sure fail. I don't think anything is wrong wtih my car but I'm really nervous about heading back to get re-tested without more concrete evidence.
I am also in IL, and when my DD failed I had to show I attempted repairs before they would even test it again after it failed. And they don't do visual inspections anymore, and even if they did, they would have NO clue what to look for. Which station did you test at?

Quick Reply: Unable to communicate with OBD