PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset air bag system after DERM replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Reset air bag system after DERM replacement?

I had the dealership scan my air bag system because the light has been on for years and enough is enough. They reported a code 62, bad DERM module (on passenger side behind glove box). I just bought one off ebay for $40 (dealer wanted $1,100 for a new one) and was wondering if I have to take it back to the dealer after I install it to get the system reset or anything like that.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not that familiar with the way GM self diagnoses their air bag systems. I know for the comparable year Ford, it does the test every time you cycle the key. I would assume this does the same thing. If so, it should clear the light once it passes the self test.

Since you are going to disconnect the battery to install the bag (right???), it should drop any codes it's holding anyway.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

For closure purposes: The DERM modules are in fact plug n' play. If the module works, there will be no air bag light when you turn the car on. My first two were DOA, finally got a good one the third time around.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'94 Firebird V6

Know this thread is old, but my question is more on this topic. I recently got an inspection rejection due to the airbag light not coming on. I think I may have a bad DERM module. I went to check the system and the fuse for airbags was gone. Apparently the guy who had the car before me pulled out the fuse for some reason. I put in a new one and no light came on. I'm thinking he had an airbag error and just took out the fuse.

I was told when you turn the car on you should get the airbag light for about 5-7 seconds and then it will turn off if the airbag system is good. Is that true on these cars? Does anyone else's airbag light turn on for just a few seconds like the ABS light does?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The light should flash a few times when you turn the key then turn off if the system checks out.

Last edited by AdsoYo; 05-18-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Reset air bag system after DERM replacement?