Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 harness and pcm on 02 lq9...hp tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 harness and pcm on 02 lq9...hp tuners

Me and my brother bought hp tuners as we both are ls poor. My question is my k5 has a 02 LQ9 with a 98 harness and pcm. Jesse did a mail order tune for me and it is a pig so I want to retune it. But I reading on hp tuners and came across this:

97-98 V8 and All V6 users - important read this

Hi all,

It is VERY important that you write your VCM with a binary file that is based on the file you initially read from the VCM.

It is also VERY important that if you use another tool to modify the VCM in any way that you re-read the VCM and begin using the new file as the basis of any further mods.

DO NOT:
- write a binary that came from another VCM
- write a binary file that has been created or modified using another software package

So what happens if you do this?
1. If you write an Operating System that is not the same as yours and VCM Flash doesn't catch it - VCM WILL BE FRIED (note: we have checks in place but there more chance of problems on 98 V8 VCMs due to less checks available)
2. There is a chance that the VCM checksum will become corrupted and the engine will not run (generally you will be able to recover the VCM by loading the last know good file back into the PCM using VCM Flash, although this is not guaranteed - we have 100% recovery rate in development testing).

So, the way I read this is if I flash a 02 escalade or silverado ss tune to my pcm I am screwed?
I was wanting to flash a stock tune and go from there. What should I do?

Thanks In Advance!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are using a 98 ls1 pcm (oval shaped on the pcm connector side) you cannot use any other year PCM os.
You can use HP tuners and retune the pcm.
Do you have a backup file from that origional pcm?
I do have a stock 98 ls1 pcm file that is the latest OS for the 98 pcm if you need to get back to stock.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
if you are using a 98 ls1 pcm (oval shaped on the pcm connector side) you cannot use any other year PCM os.
You can use HP tuners and retune the pcm.
Do you have a backup file from that origional pcm?
I do have a stock 98 ls1 pcm file that is the latest OS for the 98 pcm if you need to get back to stock.
I don't have the original, all I have is the file Jesse loaded with his tune. If you would email me the stock file I would appreciate so I have something to compare to. email is jkade72@gmail.com

Thanks!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok i will send you a stock 98 file, what is the hardware number on your pcm?
do you need auto or manual?