PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mailorder tune , big problems after cam.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ripfirebird94
Heres a noob question.. what often causes a missfiring cylinder, it NEVER missfired before the cam and valvespring swap.

You had your hands on every single part that CAN cause a misfire during those mods. Which is why I suggested you DOUBLECHECK everything. It stands to reason the affected areas during the mods are the cause and source of the problem.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first offenders are always plugs and wires.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Launching!

What errors during valve spring install could I have made to bring about missfire? I changed my plugs with the headers and duals over a month ago, before the cam. They've never had a problem.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 PM
FormerVendor

I had a couple of 918s break a few years ago. Misfires can come from many places. It's better to jump in and troubleshoot vs. speculate in post.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck finding the problem. This will most likely help others too. Keep us posted. Frost; thanks for the great info!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thing ignition related...plugs or the wires. could b Leaking or not firing injectors..bad compression..( mayb not your case but will do it) intake leak. Those pesky intake gasket if one pinched or rolled off could cause a large intake leak making a cylinder run lean...
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What frost said. Find out what cylinder or even what side is running poor
Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Launching!

The thing about it is that it never missed before the cam and springs. im gonna check the gaskets
Old 05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
In regards to the intial high idle... The PCM shipped with a sheet that explains how to setup the throttle body's blade screw. It tells you how to do it with a scanner (via IAC steps) and how to feel it out based on idle and small adjustments with no scanner.

The misfire is something real and physical to find. Your timing isn't too advanced; it's lower than stock at no-load up to around 21-2300 RPMs except for deep decel.

The fact that it's ok during first startup (no correction from O2's; open loop) and then, once it goes into closed loop it runs poorly just re-enforces a plain old misfiring cylinder. The misfiring cylinder passes off it's unused oxygen content to the front O2 on the side with the issue. The PCM is a little dumb and mistakes this misfiring cylinder for a lean condition and begins adding away at the fuel to try to 'fix' what it thinks is a lean condition. It can't, and it over fuels that side of the engine as a result. As this adding goes on, the car will run worse and worse.

To figure out which side of the engine the misfire is occurring on (if you have a scanner), look for the side that has very high positive long and short term trims. That's the problem side.

Alternately, unhook the O2s and the car will run open loop. Unhook the battery and it will reset previous learning. You can then run the car in open loop to search for the problem more safely because the PCM won't drown the offending side with closed loop operation.

There is a real physical problem here. We can certainly get it fixed for you if you'd like, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
^ DO THIS and get back to us.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Could it be an o2 sensor? I may replace those first
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Ok ill do the open loop thing right after my dad finishes my stall and get back to u
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The thing about it is that it never missed before the cam and springs. im gonna check the gaskets
Did a rocker or two come loose...? Did you look under the valve covers...?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forget about what it did or didn't do "before this or that..."

Things happen and can happen at any time. Sometimes it is related to what has just been done, and it probably is, but do not focus off of any one thing until you verify that it is correct. Sometimes things happen and it is just a coincidence.

Point I am making is take a logical approach to diagnosing the problem starting with the basics first.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K.I.S.S.

Do the simple things first...they are usually the culprit. Did you try unhooking the MAF yet? If you over think this, you could end up with a bunch of little problems that take forever to get right. You paid Frost for his expertise. Use it. I've been around this a long time and everything he said is dead on the money.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Original poster emailed me but never updated this thread, so I will.

Whomever he had working on his car "installed the coil bracket backwards", and one side had total misfires. Since the implication is that the poor performance was somehow my fault (this IS posted in the tuning section), I thought I would let anyone reading know what happened.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

God, its always the tuners fault first..... LOL Glad to hear it was something simple and hopefully he found that out before replacing parts
Old 05-18-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe, I havnt been able to drive it due to not having the stall, it pops really ******* bad, maybe I can deal with it and drive it a little after the stall, see if it mellows out? New plugs, but wires are stock. Again only 50,000 miles, nothing major mechanically is wrong. I know camshaft is degreed well because i can crank it without the coil packs plugged in and its not smacking the pistons or anything, it cranks up with no noise, but plug the packs in and its missing like a bitch, anyway I could have wired the coil packs wrong? I was having some problems and its really messy.
Hmmmm....how about that? It astounds me when someone always blames the tune first, finds out it was their ham fisted approach to the install and then never comes back into the their WHAAAAAA thread to tell the END of the story.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Didn't think it was a FROST problem, but installing a coil bracket backwards??? Is that possible? Why would it cause his misfires? Now that is interesting.

Why would he take the packs off the brackets anyway?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
Original poster emailed me but never updated this thread, so I will.

Whomever he had working on his car "installed the coil bracket backwards", and one side had total misfires. Since the implication is that the poor performance was somehow my fault (this IS posted in the tuning section), I thought I would let anyone reading know what happened.
What do you mean by backwards??
Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vicalma03
What do you mean by backwards??
I honestly don't know. I was just updating with what I was told in email. I'm glad he found whatever it was and just wanted this cleared up.