Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 LT1/T56 Complete Swap into 72

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 LT1/T56 Complete Swap into 72

I have a complete 97 Z28 in good running condition which will serve as a complete drivetrain donor for a 1972 Datsun 240Z. I was all set to use a carburated Gen1 350 Vortec, but this car became available for $750 and I could not pass that up. However, now I've had fuel injection dropped in my lap and I'm a noob again.

What is the most basic and least expensive engine management solution for me that will still provide tuning ability to accomodate mods, turn off unused sensors and systems, etc.? I have learned by searching that people actually prefer earlier LT1 setups becacuse it's so easy to hack the OBD1 ECU's. Mine is OBD2, but I have a complete and running car so if there's any way for me to use what I have, that'd be great. If it costs less in the long run to buy something older and sell what I have (but who buys 97 ECU's?) so be it.

Thanks in advance,
David
Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tuning software and cable is far cheaper for the OBDI pcm which is why people convert back to that. All you would need is an OBDI pcm and change the knock sensor. Someone may buy the 97 pcm just to have a spare so don't count that out.