PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get some input on a baseline startup tune file for my turbo trans am

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I get some input on a baseline startup tune file for my turbo trans am

I have gotten my turbo kit on my 99 trans am and about going to swap fuel systems and tune shortly. The car currently has a front mount 70mm turbo kit on a basically stock motor. Right now there is a 6-7lb spring in the tial wastegate and the fuel system consists of 60# injectors and dual 255 pumps (2nd will be on hobbs switch). I made this file as a startup and then based on logs, my wideband, boost and fuel pressure gauge I plan on dialing in the car.

Notes I have for this file, started with a stock file:

Modified High octane spark advance
-lowered overall top end high throttle timing, kept mid range throttle timing moderate
Low octane spark advance
-Lowered timing overall
-Flow rate vs KPA modified for 60# injectors
-Lowered hot PE Table Values
-Bumped PE Multiplyer to 1.2XX for AF in the 11’s
-Extended MAF airflow vs Output so 12000 = 512 g/sec
-Fans to stay on for 120 secconds when 200* +
-Lowered fan turn on temperatures

Is there anything that I missed in regards to tuning for the injectors? Do you guys see anything that seems out of wack or you would reccomend changing for my setup? I haven't touched the DTC's yet. I have tuned FI cars before but they were obd1 so this is my first stab doing it all through the computer and hptuners.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Attached Files

Last edited by boost21; 06-01-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

I would recommend getting the Voltage Offset and Short Pulse Adder data for the injectors prior to tuning the VE. Some of the injector values may need to be adjusted to get your minimum pulse width low enough at idle as well.

I'm not up on the HPT lingo, but I'm sure they have a custom operating system for your boosted application. Make sure you are running the appropriate MAP sensor for your intended boost level.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input brad, I don't have my laptop with me but I believe I read somewhere that you want to keep the injector voltage
offset as close to 1 as possible. Good point on the pulse width, that slipped my mind yesterday when making this file. Im trying to keep this initial file a low timing and fat a/f to start and then dial it more in as I get it running and make some logs.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tuning mine for 60# injectors was just change the injector flow rate and thats it... ran like a dream. You dont need to mess with much at all. Why do you have the MAF? Do you have a 2 or 3 bar OP system? Speed density?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Until I up the boost I would like to keep the maf. The car currently has a 1 bar map but it will be swapped for a 2 bar. When I up the boost (10-12psi) I will most likely switch to speed density.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Bump! I changed the max torque values, anything else you guys notice?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boost21
Until I up the boost I would like to keep the maf. The car currently has a 1 bar map but it will be swapped for a 2 bar. When I up the boost (10-12psi) I will most likely switch to speed density.
1 bar sensor reads vacuum to atmosphere. 2 bar sensor reads atmosphere to 14.5psi. Your PCM will never know you have any boost if you have the stock 1 bar sensor in it. Not sure if its even doable...?? You need a different operating system for your PCM also, stock PCM will not read boost even with a 2 bar sensor. HP Tuners 2-bar op system.... Seems kinda dangerous trying to boost it and tune it without.

Quick Reply: Can I get some input on a baseline startup tune file for my turbo trans am