PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensors Toast After Washing Engine???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knock Sensors Toast After Washing Engine???

Since I washed my engine I am getting P0332 & P0327 codes every other cycle. I got one of them prior to washing the motor but just cleared it.

Is it really possible to kill the knock sensor just by washing the engine?

I will measure the resistance tonight after it cools off with DMM.

If this is possible, is there anything to do when I replace them to prevent and engine cleaning from ruining them again?

Could also explain the poor performance as I read the advance is limited to 4 degrees when either of these codes are set.

Thanks!!

Jon
Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did that once on my old 2002 2500HD with an LQ4 (I miss the truck...even though I always wished it had been a Duramax)...I sprayed a little too much water near the front of the engine when I was cleaning, and it went under the intake and puddled around the knock sensors...when I pulled the intake off, they were covered in rust. I had to replace them...once I replaced them, and verified that the harness for them was ok, I cleared the codes and they never came back. Yes you're right about the performance too...the car is running with way less spark advance until the issue is corrected.

...sounds like you did the same thing I did...Live and learn I guess...that's what I had to do.

I actually also seem to remember a GM TSB to make basically a dam of silicone to force water to run around the holes down to the knock sensor and force it to find it's way out the back...but I never needed to actually do that, I just had to be more careful washing the engine.

Quick Reply: Knock Sensors Toast After Washing Engine???