PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will P0300 or P1133 cause a rich bank?(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Will P0300 or P1133 cause a rich bank?(pics)

My car started having an intermittent miss that got progressively worse. It would normally only start missing if you were cruising at constant RPM and if i gave it gas it would seem to clear up a lil bit but then as soon as you started cruising again it would miss. So I finally decided to pull the spark plugs. (Thought it may be bad gas from winter) The driver side is completely fouled out, i mean the plugs are BLACK. I know the car is pretty rich at idle so i figured the otherside would be the same.. its not. The passenger side plugs look brand new. would either of these codes cause one bank to pig rich while the other side is completely fine?? the plugs dont have that many miles on them. the wires are fine too.

P0300 is random misfire(the car does have a cam in it, so this code pops up once in awhile)

P1133 is insufficient switching bank 1 sensor 1

pic of one driver side plug (the otherside like i said, looks brand new)
Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P1133 sets when the O2 sensor doesn't switch from high to low enough times in a given time interval.

The O2 sensor could be lazy or skewed to one side or the other(lean in your case) which will have the ECM start to add fuel on that bank to compensate and may foul your plugs out until it fails this test and sets the P1133.

The O2 sensor could be functioning correctly and actually reporting a majorly rich condition because of another faulty component(injector(s)). This really rich condition will then cause the O2 sensor to not switch enough times in a given time interval and set the code.

What do your fuel trims look like? Got any freeze frame data on the P1133 that could help find out when exactly it is failing.
My bet is the O2 sensor started to fail and only got worse which eventually fouled all the plugs on the offending bank.

Quick Reply: Will P0300 or P1133 cause a rich bank?(pics)