PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 day old 02 sensor carbon caked, car runs like crap? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the photos of the scan after I unplugged the passengers side o2 and ran the car with it scanning:

Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

The colors of the wires running down to the o2 on the passengers side are:

A=TAN
B=PUR/W WHT stripe
C=BLK/W WHT stripe
D=PINK
Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KOTC

A=TAN
B=PUR/W WHT stripe
C=BLK/W WHT stripe
D=PINK
KOEO do you have power on the pink wire?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Teching In

I tested a few with a volt meter set to 12v settings but I dont think I did the pink wire...I wasnt sure which wires were which since I was given a picture of the pigtail that was supposed to have PINK,PURPLE,LIGHT GREEN, & TAN in it so I was confused and I had this 6 page pinout chart from LT1swap.com about the 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck wiring...this is so confusing and/or intimidating with nothing matching up while I'm making an attempt to diagnose anything, LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

We have a test for O2 sensor heaters. KOEO the O2 voltage need to drop below say 100mv. The faster the better.

Look at the heater circuits
Attached Thumbnails 3 day old 02 sensor carbon caked, car runs like crap? HELP-03-o2-sensors.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry, youre speaking jibberish to me right now! I wouldnt even know where to start to understand that diagram. I'm lost trying to figure out this stuff.

This is my first LS based vehicle ever and I have never done wiring harnesses for engines or computers/tuning related. I got the motor/trans in and did most of the swap and paid someone to wire it and get it going but it didnt turn out so hot.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Teching In

I'm gonna make the trip and trailer the car to Speed Inc tomorrow in high hopes they can get me going.

I appreciate all the help but I dont want to waste anyone's time trying to help me in the dark with what it can be...The car is not in front of me, I dont have a tuner or the help of anyone who knows this stuff locally to lend hand so I'm gonna have to take it to someone.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a test for O2 sensor heaters. KOEO the O2 voltage need to drop below say 100mv. The faster the better.
2003+ Vortec truck the PCM does not turn on the oxygen sensor heaters until engine is running. The O2 voltage will remain at around .445 mv all day long with the key on engine off from a cold engine.

Real simple check, if its stock wiring harness with stock wire colors.

Bank 1, Drivers side, Oxygen sensor signal wire will be PURPLE with WHITE stripe on it.

Bank 2, Passanger side, Oxygen sensor signal wire will be SOLID PURPLE.

If you want more verification, ohm check from PCM BLUE connector pin 69 to drivers side oxygen sensor signal wire purple/white.

PCM BLUE connector pin 66 is for Bank 2 oxygen sensor signal, PURPLE wire.

also MAKE SURE you have 2003+ oxygen sensors installed. The 01-02 sensors for the 5.3L were also a white square connector and WILL PLUG in, however, because of the PCM pulse width modulating the ground to the oxygen sensor heaters, the 02 back sensors when used with 03+ pcm will never heat up properly, and will set insufficient activity codes.

I probably get a call a week where oxygen sensor banks are crossed, looking at the data of fuel trims so far off balance, I'd bet dinner that they are switched.

Dual exhaust or do you have 2 in to one? a cross over pipe that comes in too close to the other banks oxygen sensor can also cause lots of issues.

-Brendan.

Last edited by busta9876; 06-18-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A=TAN
B=PUR/W WHT stripe
C=BLK/W WHT stripe
D=PINK
i missed this before.

THIS IS NOT RIGHT, THIS SENSOR SHOULD BE ON BANK 1, DRIVERS SIDE.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Ok so here is the newest thing...I pulled both o2 sensors from the pipes, they were different part numbers but both Denso brand..I cross referenced the part numbers and the one (replaced the passengers side o2 because the pigtail was broke with a used one I had laying around when motor was installed and I thought it was the same type) I went to a few sites including Autozone and did this feature that tells me if the part will fit and it turned out the part number was NOT compatible with the system.

I probed all of the pigtail wires with the key on, engine off and the numbers ALL were the same within very close digits. I thought I had it all figured out when I found that the o2 sensors were different...I rushed to the auto store and bought (2) brand new Bosch o2 sensors that were for the year/make/model of the truck engine...I also bought 8 AC Delco Iridium plugs and Bosch replacement wires. $230 worth...Part number on the o2 sensors I bought are Bosch 15284, I know everyone says to run those Vette o2's and such but this engine is all bone stock including exhaust.

I installed all of the parts, cleared the o2 codes and started the engine...immediately did the SAME ****...shaky, sputtering in idle, and when put in gear was shaking the whole car and was ready to die...I unplugged the passengers o2 sensor and it ran great again...I pulled that brand new o2 sensor out of the pipe and was already caked in carbon in under 5 minutes.

Here is a pic of the scan with the brand new Bosch o2 sensors installed...the passenger side read EVEN WORSE than the last o2 at o-22mv but the drivers side shot up to 900mv from previous scans of 700-ishmv

The code it was throwing is B1S2 heater circuit...

Last edited by KOTC; 06-19-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

So the o2 sensor plugs/wiring need to be swapped from side to side? They are backwards? This would cause one to read at just about dead?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by busta9876
2003+ Vortec truck the PCM does not turn on the oxygen sensor heaters until engine is running. The O2 voltage will remain at around .445 mv all day long with the key on engine off from a cold engine.

-Brendan.
Some cars and truck will not allow this test to run. I had an 04 truck in the shop and I was going to check it out before I posted, but I didn't.

I think the O2 are either swapped or it has no heaters. My money is on the swapped side to side. I have seen this so many time before and it does this split fuel trim thing
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ignore the codes for B1S2 or B2S2.

Any "S2" is sensor 2, or the post cat o2 sensor. Unless you have rear oxygen sensors, your tune did not have the diagnostics for the rear o2's disabled.

swap the wiring to the o2 sensors. I think you will find this corrects your problems. I think its been mentioned half a dozen times in the thread already...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish your tune was posted,if he went from a truck tune to the corvette style regulator for his fuel system and not vacuum referenced then the injectors have too be scaled too not just a flat number across the table.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Teching In

He was supposed to email the file to me a few days ago when you guys requsted it but I never got it.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the time you've spent posting all this you could have tried swapping the O2s and probably fixed it by now.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
In the time you've spent posting all this you could have tried swapping the O2s and probably fixed it by now.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Teching In

I currently do not have the car in front of me. It went to Speed Inc Saturday morning for diagnosing but I have been caling there all morning to have them verify and swap them over before going further. I appreciate the help guys but please don't take it as I'm not listening to your advice. The car is 45 miles away from me and work hours don't allow me to make it there afterwards.

I will keep everyone informed as I find more out.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I currently do not have the car in front of me. It went to Speed Inc Saturday morning for diagnosing but I have been caling there all morning to have them verify and swap them over before going further. I appreciate the help guys but please don't take it as I'm not listening to your advice. The car is 45 miles away from me and work hours don't allow me to make it there afterwards.

I will keep everyone informed as I find more out.
Any Updates?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Op, did u solve your problems.

Quick Reply: 3 day old 02 sensor carbon caked, car runs like crap? HELP