Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing ses, no codes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing ses, no codes?

I figured this might be a better section to post in.

Symptoms:

Bought car used, check engine light flashing while cruising, torque converter does not lock up. Feel a slight miss at lower rpm's while giving it decent throttle. Retorqued intake manifold, cleaned maf and iat. NO CODES in system

Repairs so far.

New front o2's, fuel filter, plugs, wires.

I unplugged the maf, car runs great, converter locks up, cel is on (obviously due to maf unplugged) but ses doesn't flash. I replaced it with a known good maf, did not fix issue.

Car has a cam, fast 90/90, stall and long tubes, no rear 02's so i assume they're shut off in the tune, 38.5 lucas injectors. Will an hp tuners datalog or scan tool show me something I should be looking for? Thanks! This is driving me nuts and I really don't want to leave the maf unplugged.

Last edited by Regis; 06-25-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

have you had the codes read? It could be intermittent knocking with the cam what spec is the cam?

you need to have the codes read including the all codes ever, and look them all up.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I've scanned it with a handheld mac scanner I have and don't have any codes, just some o2 sensor codes before but I replaced both of them. It pops a p1153 every now and then but I assume that's from the long tubes.

The cam is on the larger side, I don't know the exact specs on it since I bought the car used and was told it was a speed inc SI1 grind but Larry over there assured me it wasn't. I just need to check the tune on it and go from there I suppose, I'm done throwing parts at this thing.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Flashing/no codes = repeated misfires. No flashing w/ MAF unplugged = MAF code has taken over, and set the lite on full time.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

flashing = random missfire..aka big cam
Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Teching In

So does it seem like the tuner turned off the misfire codes? Any reason why my converter won't lock up unless the maf is unplugged?

I checked fuel pressure today, steady right at 60
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea who did the tuning before you got it? Maybe you'd be better off starting fresh and getting the car tuned by a reputable shop. Also, have you tried swapping out the MAF with a known good one to see if that helps? Cleaning it doesn't always work. Lastly, the torque converter won't lock up if there are misfires so I'm sure the lockup issue is related to your misfires.

I was going to say...fuel pump but you already cleared that.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flashing SES is MASSIVE MISFIRE POTENTIALLY CATALYST DAMAGING. That's why the light is FLASHING to get your attention to take it to your nearest repair center ASAP.

Now, that being said, because it's cammed, that's why it's all happening. The reason you don't have a SES light is probably because the tuner didn't know how to tune it to not set misfires, so he just turned the code off. So, you get the flashing SES, but no code.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

tweak your misfire detection table.

kill your 1153 and 1133 codes. useless. if your car is running fine, the switching back and forth of the 02s appears ok...kill em.