Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAFT causing problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAFT causing problems

I bought a used MAFT from a friend of mine. When I installed it, I set the pots at zero and went for a quick ride to log some ATAP numbers. At WOT, over 4K RPM, I get a lot of stumbling .... like the car is dropping cylinders. As soon as I remove the MAFT, the problem goes away. Oh, and it also sets a code P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit Low Frequency.

Today, I got another friend of mine to come by with his 2001 T/A. We put the MAFT on his car and took it for a spin. No problems, no stumbles, nothing out of the ordinary.

So, we put his MAF on my car along with the MAFT, and we got the same DTC and the same 4K stumble at WOT.

Help please?

Last edited by rncotton; 02-29-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Further update:

Replaced hump hose with stock bellows between MAF and TB. No change.

Removed Hypertech programming (which was only fans and speedo calibration). No change.

That's it ... I'm stumped.

Last edited by rncotton; 02-29-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Problem solved ... the MAFT was a bum unit.

Short version of the story is this: Guy A bought it new and ran it for a while. He sold it to my friend, who never used it and sold it to me. When I installed it, I noticed the insulation worn off 2 wires, so I taped them.

Tonight, I pulled everything apart, removed the PCB from the box, and found a copper trace on the PCB scorched and burned with a break in it.

So, I cleaned everything up, removed the trace, and soldered a short copper jumper to replace the trace. I tested it out and everything works great.

So ... Guy A had a wire short out to ground and fried the MAFT. To get money for a new one, he sold it to my bud and told him "it works fine".

Oh well ... it works fine now.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice fix.