Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much timing

My current setup is a 00 A4 Trans Am. I have a volant intake, ported 90/90 combo, stock motor with 02+zo6 cam with qtp headers, no cats and gmmg exhaust. How much timing are you guys running...just trying ti get a feel of where my tune is at.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't compare other tunes with yours, Every motor reacts different even with the same setup. One might want say 26* and another with the same setup want 29*. I had two customers that built their cars with the exact same parts, cam, head, ect. One would start right up and idle and the other needed a lot of tuning to get it to idle, One made app 480 RWHP, and the other made around 453 RWHP Why?? engine tolerance? they both had app the same mileage and yes drive train was the same..
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Hmm...thats crazy...if i had the one with 453rwhp i would be pissed
Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaie
My current setup is a 00 A4 Trans Am. I have a volant intake, ported 90/90 combo, stock motor with 02+zo6 cam with qtp headers, no cats and gmmg exhaust. How much timing are you guys running...just trying ti get a feel of where my tune is at.
The best way to feel your tune is to log your runs and watch the KR and the AFR w/ a WB.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm...thats crazy...if i had the one with 453rwhp i would be pissed
It is not crazy at all. The 480 hp customer took time and correctly assembled his and paid attention to the details. The 453 hp customer probably read some internet forums and how to books and thought he was a engine building and car expert and ignored the details of where the power is really made.

This happens all the time and I think it is probably one of the main causes of the problems and headaches that people that tune for a living face. So many people think a tune can make up for a poorly built engine/vehicle even with the right selection of parts.

Sorry to get off subject but I see this and hear people say it all the time and they usually react just like you said you would.

As far as your question. Just log it and see what it likes.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit the dyno to be sure. I ran 32* on my 93' mustang with pump gas all day long, but can only run 29* on my Z06. Compression, quench height, chamber design, fuel quality, humidity, elevation, etc. all come into play if you want to run your tune on the ragged edge (where I'm dumb enough to be most of the time ). Yes, dyno time is expensive. But you will have the combo of a powerful, reliable, & safe tune! If there are no dyno's close by, a mail order tune can be pretty accurate from the right company. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DynoDR
It is not crazy at all. The 480 hp customer took time and correctly assembled his and paid attention to the details. The 453 hp customer probably read some internet forums and how to books and thought he was a engine building and car expert and ignored the details of where the power is really made.

This happens all the time and I think it is probably one of the main causes of the problems and headaches that people that tune for a living face. So many people think a tune can make up for a poorly built engine/vehicle even with the right selection of parts.

Sorry to get off subject but I see this and hear people say it all the time and they usually react just like you said you would.

As far as your question. Just log it and see what it likes.

You hit it on the Head!! You know how many people want you to fix mechanical problems thru tuning? Geez.. Oh, and the customer was pissed..but what can you do.....

Last edited by moehorsepower; 07-25-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add sentence
Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Get your fueling in the ballpark, then I usually start safe at around 24-25 and watch for KR or if your on a dyno, see where it likes to be.